New tank for a juvenile

Adamelgert

Reaction score
Country
United States
With the help of this forum my dark color axolotl is getting better. Gills are coming back tail is straightening out and he’s getting his appetite back. Thank you!

I put my leucistic in the take yesterday. Happy to report the water levels are all great on the water test and she made it through the night without a problem. She ate out of the bowl as well.

Question, her gills are curved forward. I know that’s a sign of stress. Anyone think is should be concerned or could it just be the transition? Photo of the full tank and a closer picture of the ax. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpeg
    IMG_1197.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 395
  • IMG_1196.jpeg
    IMG_1196.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
there tends to be a lot of confusion in regards to curved gills, when an axolotl is stressed the gills are curved forward as if to cover the eyes with a noticeable bend near to the base of the gill stem, this is done to allow for maximum exposure of the gill filaments when there is a depletion of oxygen in the water or an over abundance of co2 (can also occur due to low blood oxygen in cases of nitrite and nitrate toxicosis or sudden ammonia spike).
your axolotls gills are fine and are just "floppy" due to length.

Thank you!
You’re right, lots written about curved gills. And since it’s a new tank for the ax I think I was an bit over-concerned. I appreciate you posting and helping me out. 😁

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back