Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank pics

B

brandon

i hope im doin this right if i am you should see pictures of the tank i just setup, its currently in the end of the cycling period, and next week i should have some residents its a 10gl tank that will hopefully house two newts and maybe a white cloud, i am unsure if i should mix a whitecloud with a newt yet still trying to find that out
<center>
34296.jpg
</center>
<center>
34297.jpg
</center>

(Message edited by cloneguy on April 14, 2005)

M

mark

That looks pretty nifty. I know a lot of people here would disagree with also having a white cloud, they are very spastic, and will foul the water a lot quiker, although in the circumstansis, I would say its up to you. Good luck!

J

jeff

There are also a few people on here who believe White Clouds are the best option if you plan on mixing newts with fish. I guess it just really depends on who you ask.

By the way, nice tank. I'm a little worried about the plastic "leaves" on the tree, though. I've seen that particular item in pet stores, and from what I remember they were kind of sharp. I'm a little worried about your newts getting cut by those.

B

brandon

yea i was worried bout that to so i had the idea to either melt them to a round less dangerous point or use some of the fish tank glue that is non toxic and water proof and put it on the points to make them smooth or just take them off. i will have to clean the tank friday so i will decide then, or do u guys have any suggestions cause i really like the tree

J

jeff

Perhaps you could remove the plastic leaves and replace them with live java moss. I think if you band the java moss onto the tree it should eventually attach itself.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have had white clouds in my firebelly's tank for years. I have never had any problems with them and the newts not getting along. My tank is a 40gal, 75% filled with water with 3 adults and 3 juvenile nets with a dozen or so white clouds. I have a very heavily planted tank and the white clouds bread all the time. I think some of the baby white clouds get eaten by the newts. When i have too may on the white clouds I put them into my axol tank to get eaten, plus I know the fish will be bug free for the axols.

my $.02

B

brandon

i think that would look great, and its better then melting stuff or spending time glue stuff, thx for the help

B

brandon

ok one last question, i was looking up java moss and saw that it can over take a tank if you plant much, any suggestion of how much i should plant? i don't want it to cover all the tank

J

jeff

I'm sure a few small clumps of java would suffice. You'll probably have to do maintenance on it (a.k.a. grooming) every so often, but that shouldn't take too long. The positives of keeping live plants far outweigh the negatives.

B

brandon

thx for the help, i had to call around to 12 different stores before i found some. ill set it up tomorrow and will take pics of it when it grows in

C

corey

I love your tank, I have a bonsai tree similar to it in my 55 gallon tank. I like the way you made the "shelf" all around the tank, that's pretty imaginative. As far as the white cloud....I've read all the articles about mixing newts with others newts, fish, and frogs and I know that 95% of the people on this site discourage it. However, over the past 10 years I'm gone from a 10 gallon to a 55 gallon having various newts, fish, and toads in the same tank. I DO understand now that they do require different habitats; however, I've never had 1) a newt eat or nibble on another one 2) my Fire bellied toad try to eat any of the newts or finally the fish affect my newts. I do frequent water changes and check on them and without problem. So it can be done; however, now I am separating my tanks only because I am more knowledgeable due to this site and I have more ideas for great set ups like yours. Good job and above all enjoy your newts!

I

^imp^

One minnow? They're a schooling species. Putting one in a tank with newts is equivalent to fish torture (stress). White clouds are resilient, but--most likely--that little bugger isn't going to have a nice life.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!