Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New tank setup: basic question

ctooley

Reaction score
Hello all!

i am a few days away from receiving my first salamanders. two tigers that i am getting from a member of this forum. i already have my terrarium set up but i have a couple basic questions that i would appreciate help with.

my setup is fairly simple to start off. i have a fir bark substrate with about a third of the substrate covered in a layer of moss. i have a small hide and a shallow water dish. i set up a thermostat at the bottom so i can see the temp of the substrate as well as a thermo/hydrometer combo up higher in the tank. i plan on adding some organic topsoil in a few weeks, it seems that its hard to come by near me.

my two questions are as follows: first, is there anything wrong with this setup/any suggestions to make it better? second, what is the best way to moisten the substrate? fir bark seems fairly dry. i have been spraying it periodically with water to moisten it but i was wondering if there is a better way.

thanks in advance for any help! I'm excited to have these guys and want to make sure I'm doing things right.

Slainte
chris

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fir bark doesn't hold moisture very well. I'd recommend adding a layer of coco fiber. The substrate I use most is a mix of top soil and coco fiber. In the meantime, maybe you could add more moss to get more moisture retention.

ctooley

Reaction score
thanks for the input. i was able to find some top soil that was a mix of sand, soil, and a little peat moss. i tested the PH and it was at an 7-8. based on my research (that this is safe) i have mixed up a substrate of about 80% of the topsoil mix and 20% fir bark. i do also have a good bit of moss in the tank. with this set up it looks nicely moist and holds a good humidity level. i think when i have to change the substrate i may switch to coco fiber as it seems very popular.

any issues with this substrate mix?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1