New to Axlotl's, Need Help!

Delaney

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my axlotl for about a week now, and a couple days in I noticed his water was pretty cloudy and stinky. I did an ammonia test, which was high, so I did a 25% water change. Than two days later (today), his water was even cloudier/stinkier. I did an ammonia test, 'stress', Nitrate and Nitrite, both 0, I did 2 pH tests, the first was 7.0 and the second was 9.0, than KH and GH all normal. So I did a 90% water change, all the tests came back normal. Did I move too quickly?

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Delaney

Ok, first, the stinky water, the stench, how bad is it? Like, can you smell it from like 5 feet away?

Second, what type of filter do you have? I recommend, highly recommend a sponge filter and if you're having issues with water transparency, I would actually get two and use them both at the same time in the tank, if you have the room. That's what I do with mine, keeps her water crystal clear.

Third, what size tank do you have? 10 gallon, 20?

Fourth, can you post some photos of your tank set up, like showing what you have and then get us a photo of your axolotl. Don't stress them by taking them out of the tank.

And just to clarify, I say this a lot because I wish someone would have told me about it soon, but the tank cycle for a sponge filter goes as follows...

1 = add axolotl to tank. 2 = axolotl produces waste, that leads to ammonia in the water. 3 = sponge filter slowly converts the ammonia into nitrites. 4 = filter slowly converts the nitrites to nitrates. 5 = nitrates are the end of the cycle, you have to do a water change.

And be aware that a tank cycle takes usually 30 days, a whole month. So you need to be vigilant and check your ammonia and all that at least once every two days, that's what I did and I was able to catch a night when my axolotl had really high nitrites. Ammonia being high will cause burns, nitrites will make them sluggish and lethargic, nitrates I think deprive them of oxygen. You want your ammonia and nitrites at 0, of course, and I think nitrates are 20-60.

What are you using to text with? Like, what kit. I use an API Fresh Water Master Kit, and it's super accurate, super easy to use, and it has saved my axolotl's life. And as for the pH, it should be like 7.5.

If any of this sounded redundant and you know all of it already, I apologize. I am only speaking from experience as I, unintentionally, reset my poor axolotls tank cycle back in August. Oh and I hate to say this but if you do buy a sponge filter, make sure the pet store actually has air pumps for you. I HATE when they sell the sponge filters and not the pumps or they're out of them, or out of hose, like, I REALLY hate that.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi

Congrats on your new baby!!!

It sounds like you started a new tank and added your baby right without "cycling" first.

This can cause harm to your axolotl if you aren't HYPERvigilante with testing and water changing every day!!

I recommend cycling without any livestock in the tank.
It requires a few supplies but gives you peace of mind your axolotl is not being harmed in any way, while you get a strong "cycle" in your filters to convert the heavy bioload (poop factory) of an axolotl.

If you need help with either way keep posting here with which way you want to attempt and the members with the most experience can definitely help.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, cycling sounds like the immediate issue. If you're home all the time, not working, or working from home, whatever, it's a lot easier to help your axolotl through a cycling but if you're at work for long periods of time, like 10 hour shifts, your axolotl will be hurting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • k.em:
    hello Anyone can sell tylototriton?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Matt Edgar has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • einarrito:
    I have a siren that has 2 white spots on it, wondering g if anyone could help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Crystal:
    I am looking for some help in any sick salamander care
    +1
    Unlike
  • tduzz:
    I have an old axolotl free to a good home in MA
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Cordealia has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChocoUniversa:
    Hello?
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChocoUniversa:
    Why am I here
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    ChocoUniversa has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    ChocoUniversa has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChocoUniversa:
    Does anyone have anything on how to cycle an axolotl tank before getting the axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChocoUniversa:
    Why is there a red 2 next to the room
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    ChocoUniversa has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ellarose:
    +1
    Unlike
  • ellarose:
    Go to the fishless cycle tab :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • MidgetMan:
    @tduzz, where do you live? Like roughly. What country are you in?
    +1
    Unlike
  • tduzz:
    @MidgetMan, Massachusetts but I can give anywhere in the new England area
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    @ChocoUniversa, Buy some ammonia and an eyedropper from Walmart and a water test kit for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Figure out (through testing) how many drops it will take to get the ammonia level to the test's maximum measurement. Add that same number of drops every 24 hours. Eventually, the ammonia will start to go down as it's converted to nitrites. Keep adding ammonia. The nitrite levels will spike for a while and then they too will start to go down as they convert to nitrates. These you get rid of by doing water changes, which you should be doing anyway throughout the process. Once all of these are at low levels, your aquarium is ready. It takes about a month, maybe two (mine took a month and a half). Be sure to add ammonia until the day of or the day before you add your axolotl.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kmia_13:
    Hey guys, this is my first time using this so bear with me. I have an adult axie who looks like he’s developed some fungus on gills. It’s still really small and only on one part. I put him in a 10 gal quarantine tank with an Indian almond leaf. I want to give him a black tea bath but not sure if I can add my black tea to the tank with the Indian almond leaf in there. Any advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Gillygills:
    Hi, My axolotl has just started morphing, but has some fungal spot behind the gill.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Gillygills:
    Should I fridge therapy and salt wash? or will this not be wise when she is morphing.
    +1
    Unlike
  • BChen3695:
    Need help identifying what’s wrong with my axolotl
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    @BChen3695, what are your parameters and temp? The fact that they're raised bumps could indicate fungus or bacterial infection.
    +2
    Unlike
    madcaplaughs: @BChen3695, what are your parameters and temp? The fact that they're raised bumps could indicate... +2