Question: New to Axolotls: Alternative food Choices, Serious Help needed

TheProblemChild

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Apologize if this is in wrong section just joined this forum need serious help

Okay here is my situation.

About 3 days ago my uncle came to visit from Toronto (I live in Vancouver BC), and surprised me with an axolotl. I did want one and told him if he saw any in Tdot to tell me how much and what type etc... so i could decide whether to get one while i did research on it. So my Uncle decides to visit and brings a surprise axolotl(roughly 7 inches just under) with him. Part of me was happy while another part wasn't. The happy part yay i got an axolotl ive wanted for a while, but the bad thing is the main question I've been researching for I can't find a good answer. The question is what can I feed my axolotl as a substitute if i cannot use earthworms (its just earthworms and nightcrawlers, i can deal with bloodworms and black worms). The reason is as a kid I had a serious traumatic accident with them and just seeing one or even typing or talking about it my head twitch's as its a constant reminder of that horrific event. Is there anything else I can feed them that is readily available at a food store or somewhere close. Right now i have these salmon pellets my uncle brought with him, and i have been using that with some leftover blood worms i bought from a CL ad. I have looked at nutrition charts but not sure if anything is suitable as a replacement for earthworms, I really do not want to give him up if there is an alternative solution. Live alone and my gf also can't handle earthworms so thats a no go. Help would be appreciated.

PS.

Sorry for rambling, but really want to keep this guy if possible been wanting one for so long, and the lotl is in a 20gallon long tank that i had cycled, it was being used as a tank for my tigerbarbs who i switched over to a 10gallon tank.

A good quality pellet would be fine as a staple.

Pellets are fine. You can even buy an axolotl brand pellet over here, not sure if it's available there.
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mSUx2sdCUpnW0gdC3hpB_gw.jpg

Frozen bloodworms would be alright with the pellets, although they can be messy.
What about live blackworms? Would they be too difficult?
Don't feel bad about it. My partner won't go near earthworms, if I'm not around to feed our axie he feeds frozen bloodworms. I have a phobia of moths and butterflies, I guess it would be like asking me to feed one of them - and I wouldn't!

Hi.. My axolotls like chopped up prawns for a change.. I buy them frozen from the supermarket and put a few to defrost in a cup of water..When defrosted, take them out and chop into 'pea' size, and feed to your axie. A small bag will last some time kept in a freezer.

So would salmon pellets be good or would it have to be exact Axolotl pellets.

Blood worms and blackworms i think are okay, i do blood worms well anyway, For bloodworms i use a turkey baster and put them into a food dish that i have in the tank, He seems to find it fairly quickly.

Shrimp method, like raw frozen shrimp im guessing?

Thank you for the replies:D

yes, the pellets are OK. I know people do use Salmon pellets or amphibian pellets..I use raw prawns chopped up.. I also use the turkey baster for blood worms..I hope you enjoy your axololtl..Best Wishes..

Please be careful feeding prawns they are salt water and can contain iodine (found in kelp & the ocean) which can induce metamorphose.

Bloodworms should be thawed in a glass of tank water away from the tank - then once defrosted sucked up into a turkey baster & let settle into the tip of the baster with as little water possible - then dispensed into the tank / feeding jar again trying not to add all the water in the baster :)

Hikari sinking carnivore pellets are also very good & offer balanced nutrition.

<3 >o_o< <3

Don't worry about prawns causing metamorphosis because they are sea fish. Inorganic iodine was shown to have no role in inducing metamorphosis in axolotls over 80 years ago.

If you really cannot face feeding earthworms, pellets are probably the sensible way to go, in the short term small prawns (I've used cheap cooked ones, waved under their noses with tweezers/forceps) will be ok but probably not as nutritionally balanced as pellets.

Hi! I live in Vancouver too and i'm a little iffy on using earthworms as well. Aquariums West has Hikari Bio-pure bloodworms and all three of my axies love them : ) I also have been feeding them freeze-dried bloodworms, not as good as frozen but it does the trick if you're in between foods. I'm also going to start up another small tank for quarantining cherry shrimp for them : ) If that helps at all!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back