Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Newts - firebelly with injured leg

mozzer

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I stumbled across Caudata a few nights ago, looking for some answers to a few questions. I have found this place to be amazingly informative. I am new to the amphibian world. I got 2 AwwwDorable FB newts on Mother's Day. Named them THING 1 and THING 2. Surprised at how easy it has been to tell them apart. I love them already! I signed up with this place just last night, and sadly enough, woke with a surprise this morning.:(

Thing 2 appears to have ripped his front leg off..well almost off, it is hanging there by a small piece of skin. Didn't see any blood, the wound looks white.. I quickly jumped on here to see if anyone had had a similar problem. I followed a few bits of advice already. I have quarantined him to a new bowl, using some of his water from the last bowl. I only used bottled water for them. I called local vets, but I live in a small town. The offices all said they don't take care of amphibians, just reptiles of a certain size?? and fuzzy creatures. I'm sort of freaked out for the little guy. What do I do about the leg that is hanging on by a thread??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel bad that I couldn't do more research before getting them. They were a surprise gift. I think he lost his leg by getting stuck on top of a decorative ship inside the bowl. He liked to climb up to the top of that thing, and I think he got it stuck in one of the little holes. I have removed that ship and don't plan on ever using it again. I didn't think that THING 1 attacked him, they seemed so docile with each other.

Ok, sorry if I rambled. I just thought it best to provide as much information as possible so someone can give me as much help as possible. Thank you thank you thank you in advance!!:eek:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to Caudata :)

Could you maybe add some photo's of the newts and their set up please?
The general advice is to keep the water clean and cool and watch out for fungus ( looks like cotton wool)

mozzer

Reaction score
Forgive the clarity. I tried to get a shot of his injury and temporary home. This is a 1.5 gal tank. I just got a 5 gal tank I am hoping he will get to live in. I went to the pet store where he came from and the owner gave me some antibiotic drops for the water. She told me that nature needs to take its course on this...but I am hoping for a little more information.

Attachments

• 20140522_233801.jpg
    20140522_233801.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 199

Aplestris

Reaction score
Hi and welcome :)
The newt's leg should grow back slowly, they are supposed to be very good at healing (although just for the record, i haven't had a newt lose a limb.) As Bellabelloo said, keeping the tank cool and clean will hopefully not allow any fungus to form. is he still eating well?
Good luck

mozzer

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. :happy: I am trying to feel hopeful. No, he isn't eating..he is dodging any attempts to feed him. I had been feeding the little guys directly with some bloodworms via tweezers. I think he is scared right now, and probably hurting. Maybe instinct tells him to run and hide? :confused:I'm going to try again tonight, maybe he will be calmer. I've put him in an area of the house that has less traffic. It is getting pretty hot outside and I think I am a lot like my newts. I prefer a cold house, people always comment on that. I still monitor the temperatures though, just in case there is a freak warm spot.:cool: After this little experiance, I am finding I am a lot more attentive to changes in their tanks. I have been keeping an eye out for tricky spots, like slipping rocks, or little spaces they can get stuck. I'm home a lot, so I can't help but peek in at them often...plus they are just cool to watch!:p

ntny

Reaction score
hi toni

normally these are cause by high temps + fungus and fighting.
the leg will grow back one day.

mozzer

Reaction score
Hi.

I love this site. :frog::love: You all have been so quick to help. I am taking all of your comments and trying to keep my little guys happy and hopefully very healthy. How long do you think I should keep him from his buddy? I plan on setting up my new tank this weekend, and going to put the un-injured guy in as soon as possible. What should I be taking into consideration when reintroducing them? I have some anti-fungal drops the pet store owner told me to use. On the bottle it says to use them for 7 days. Do you think he can go with the other newt after the 7 days? Or should I wait longer??

Again, thank you for you help! I'm so grateful!!

Aplestris

Reaction score
Hi again
No problem :)
I would make his setup plain like damp paper towels and a few hides to monitor him better if you haven't already. I would reintroduce him when it has grown back/ is making a great recovery. Newts aren't really social and i think they dont mind being alone when they aren't breeding.
I have never heard of antibiotic drops for newts. Are they not just ones for fish? I believe they do also work on Caudata but they should be given in smaller dosage than that for fish according to a book i read.
I've never tried it myself but waxworms seem to be good at enticing newts to eat and contain a lot of fat to build them up but maybe the worms are too big? I haven't even seen one in real life lol
Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1