New to these guys, is this setup okay for two n. crocatus?

Spookynewts

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there! I have experience with reptiles, frogs, and fish, but this will be my first foray into newts. I will be acquiring two CB n. crocatus in the next month or two and I have just finished a ten gallon paludarium. It's about 1/3 and 2/3 water. I have a submersed filter as well as a pump waterfall feature which create a decent current. The tank is bioactive with isopods and springtails, the former of which I anticipate may become a food source. Substrate in the aquatic section is sand with large gravel on top, and aquasoil underneath. I have some floating plants, two aquatic plants, and aquatic moss. On the terrestrial bank I have a variety of mosses. On the background I have planted a Boston Fern, pteris Fern, and arrowhead vine.

Temps now are around 70F. I may purchase a fan if this doesn't decrease as the winter months roll in.

My main concerns are the size of the tank (is it too small) and the ratio of land/water. Id appreciate any advice or critiques as I want to ensure this is a perfect environment before I bring the newts home.

Attachments

• RDT_20230911_185454152832047833004594.png
    RDT_20230911_185454152832047833004594.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 374
Update: I did a bit more research and decided to do a different setup for the two crocatus. It's a 30 gallon tank. I'm able to add more floating platforms if need be.

Attachments

• PXL_20230916_001723465.jpg
    PXL_20230916_001723465.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20230916_001737481.jpg
    PXL_20230916_001737481.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 78
What is the age of the newts ? I like to start off in a smaller setup especially with a species like crocatus with much less water if juvienile

What is the age of the newts ? I like to start off in a smaller setup especially with a species like crocatus with much less water if juvienile
Hey there! I've decided to instead go with an adult trio of pleurodeles w. for this setup.

I think that will suite them much better ☺️
Agreed! I don't want to get the crocatus unless I have a well suited environment for them which is why I made the switch. Hoping my little ribbed newts will enjoy the tank :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back