New Tylototriton species mystery (with photos)

Yes, Tennessee USA. The petshop I got them from knew nothing about them, since they were half dead when I bought them. I did ask though, and got nothing but a blank look. Suprising eh? lol These new "X" animals are very different, and strange... I will try to get photos ASAP. Also, about the sizes of T. Shanjing and T. Verucosus- I have a female T.Shanjing that is 22cm long, and a male a few years back that was nearing 23cm. So in my studies T.Shanjing is bigger than T.verucosus.

Size doesn't mean much unless you know the age of the animal, and I have heard all kind of stats on Tylototriton sizes. Most salamanders and newts grow throughout their lives, though they usually slow down as they get older. I am treating the size of Tylototriton "x" as a very minor factor in all of this. If the age was known, for example, if it was known that the animal is 2 years old, then I would say that it is quite large. As things are, I can only say that it is pretty big, but it might just be old.

The embryo size difference could simply be accounted for by the size of the mother - larger female salamanders lay larger eggs and in higher number than their smaller counterparts within the same species. The pigmentatin of the eggs is different enough to be significant, though. Within a species, though eggs tend to vary a little, they are generally similar. In this case they are very different.

The animals I was speaking up were fairly old. The eggs are quite interesting, I have never seen Tylototriton eggs like that. This makes me want to breed the "x" I have, to research this more. Interesting, and puzzling all at the same time.

So John, can you update us about Tylototriton "x"?

Hello everyone, in regard to the topic of origin it seems verrucosus "X" is coming in from Myanmar(burma). I have recently aquired 20+ adults from a dealer. The problem is in the group I obtained had both the X variant and the so called normal verrucosus intermixed. I would state there is a definite difference between both as most of you have observed. Several dealers have confirmed northern burma as the collection site while they are being shipped through Thailand.Verrucosus are being exported in a big way at the moment from burma so keep your eyes open as they have flooded the markets here in canada,europe, and japan recently.

They used to sell for $40-$60 here in Japan, where outrageous prices are the norm, but now they're down to $12 -- the cheapest I've ever seen them at. Scary almost....

Yes, Tim...they have been selling here for retail at $15 each also. I purchased mine from a dealer for $5 each. It seems they are still being collected at the moment as waves of them which all for the most part appear to be healthy are still coming into the dealers...which means they are probably freshly collected. Also overhere in Canada we have sanjing and the even rarer deloustali coming in. Also one dealer I purchase from says he can obtain "Black emperor newts" from Vietnam.... asperrimus no doubt. I have offcourse ordered some in hopes they are in fact asperrimus complex.
I find it an odd time for tylototriton collection though, usually in the spring overhere in Canada.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back