New type of Paramesotriton from China

S

stephan

This animal has come from China recently, not sure what it is, looks different to what I know.
Have a look and let me know your opinion.

63032.jpg

63033.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on May 02, 2006)

Henk Wallays has a picture of a (slightly fatter) animal like this which he says is an abnormally coloured fuzhongensis. Other than the colour, it looks like the group fuzhongensis/guangxiensis-like species which often appear in the pet trade.
Nice animal, whatever it is!
Chris

I believe Andy Baker owned a similar newt which he couldn't identify for certain, but which looks very similar to yours and as Chris says, most people said fuzhongensis...

(Message edited by will_j on May 01, 2006)

That first picture is very interesting...though not quite like mine shown here, http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/32246.html?1110993314
I've never seen one quite like yours Stephan....though i have seen what was obviously a Fuzhongensis with that lovely colour shown in the second picture. I suspect there's a whole species complex waiting to be described with a lot of the Paramesotritons.

I've also seen some like that. Very impressive.

63073.jpg

In shape these animals much more look like P. caudopunctatus (the long heads in particular).

I thought the same thing Serge...the head in that first pic does remind me of Caudopuntatus

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back