Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New way to use spray foam

Kansamander

Reaction score
I had sprayed pond-safe foam on the bottom of a tank, and then decided to take it back out. What came out was smooth on one side, bumpy foam on the other side.

What can be done with this is it can be trimmed/thinned, and placed upside down when adding layers of soil to a new vivarium. If you place it against the glass (clean glass under first) and carefully add dirt over it, it makes an excellent viewable cave. My smallmouth salamanders are rarely seen, but occasionally I'll find them in once off these caves. I've dug tunnels for access as well. Just a fun idea for used foam.

Also, I used a block of it, set on supports, to make a floating planted island. There are a couple of places where water can seep up into it, and my moss, grass and assorted tagalongs are growing great in it. The roots of the grass extend through it into the water, which is helpful.

Attachments

• 20191216_104731.jpg
    20191216_104731.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 1,921
  • 20191216_102819.jpg
    20191216_102819.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 1,042
  • 20191115_222958.jpg
    20191115_222958.jpg
    804.4 KB · Views: 771

Kansamander

Reaction score
How do you know what kind of foam is pond-safe? I like this idea.

Great-Stuff has some that sells in spring and summer at Lowes specifically for outdoor ponds and waterfalls. I've used it for multiple projects without issue. It says 'safe for fish' which usually means amphibians too. It's black, so it blends well and looks more natural.

GREAT STUFF Pond & Stone 12 oz Insulating Foam Sealant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQ0FVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zgW-Db6WAYQZV

That bottom photo is upside down somehow :D

Natalie

Reaction score
My smallmouth salamanders are rarely seen, but occasionally I'll find them in once off these caves. I've dug tunnels for access as well. Just a fun idea for used foam.
Wow nice! I also got the idea a few years ago to use spray foam to be able to observe Ambystoma better. But I didn't take used foam - I sprayed it directly in the terrarium, and misestimated:eek: The thing came apart at places where one pane of glass meets another!

Kansamander

Reaction score
Wow nice! I also got the idea a few years ago to use spray foam to be able to observe Ambystoma better. But I didn't take used foam - I sprayed it directly in the terrarium, and misestimated:eek: The thing came apart at places where one pane of glass meets another!
I did that as well, but in a cheap aquarium. Ended up breaking the glass!

The thing I like about used foam is the flat top (once flipped), and it can be trimmed to suit need.

Creekratt

Reaction score
Here's my other tiger tank using it
Thanks. I've been looking for ideas for this. So when sprayed on glass, did you need to use some sort of "release"? I can imagine the foam would adhere very well to glass making difficult to remove it in one piece? Oh, nice Tiger, is he a blotched, if so where I can possibly acquire some?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!