Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New worms

B

ben

My new caecilians, i think they're Herpele sp probably squalastoma but i'm not sure play dead when you first pick them up then once you've put them down they move like lightning into the substrate like something from "Tremors"

34667.jpg

34668.jpg

Ben

P

paris

very cool- are these an aquatic or terrestrial specie? i wish we had a little more apoda variety here in the US....
sad.gif

W

william

they are terrestrial, you would have thought that the USA would have more species, it's true.

B

ben

Terrestrial is being kinda hopeful totally fossorial is more accurate, buried until i dig them up once a week to count them! However i'm constructing a wormery for them in the hope that deep substrate but very thin viv means i get to see them a bit more.I'll post more pics as it develops and they settle in.
Ben

W

william

thats sounds good, you could even cover up the front of the vivarium so they burrow along the glass and then remove the cover when you want to see them.

B

ben

thats me plan, it's being built as a prototype for an exhibit if it works will be on show at a zoo near you, well if you live in the uk anyway!
Ben

W

william

not chester zoo! they were doing some renovating in the "cave" bit of the tropical house when i visited a few weeks ago.

P

paris

yeah ive always though that deep but thin tanks would be useful in showing the underground dwellers off well-kind like an ant farm for fossoral amphibs
lol.gif

E

edward

except that usually fossorial stuff rubs crud over the glass in the burrows making it impossible to see them and a real pain to correct as you need to tear the cage down.

Ed

E

edward

They also look like Geotrypetes (which are available from time to time in the USA).

You need to key them out if you can.

Ed

S

steve

Hi Ed,

Could you please let me know where you got them and how much you paid?

Thanks,
Steve

B

ben

Hi Ed it's strange you should mention the Geotrypetes i was looking at Henk Wallays site last night and mine look much more like his Geotrypetes than the Herpele so doubt was beginning to edge into my mind. Where's the best place for me to get positive id?
Cheers Ben

W

william

i suppose you could find out from the importers exactly where they came from...

pollywog

Reaction score
I spoke to the importers of mine and they came in from Cameroon but listed as Borumuelleri lamottei?? Which means absolutly nothing to me. I also know which exporters they use in Cameroon and they are advertising both Herpele squalostoma and H.multiplicata.
However looking at Henks pictures of G.seraphini the one photographed above does look very much like them.
The two I have are quite a bit different the other not shown above is a purplish colouration with less obvious banding and looks more like Henks H.squalostoma photographs:
34792.jpg

Here is a pic of them both together so you can see the colour difference:
34793.jpg

W

william

that is not a species of caecilian it is a mix of the species names of two different caecilians of the genus crotaphatrema, from the scolecomorphidae family.

(Message edited by will j on April 22, 2005)

N

nate

I know this is waaaay too late, but maybe it can still be helpful.

Those are definitely not Herpele, because the eyes of Herpele are never visible; they're located under the cranium.

Maybe they are Crotaphatrema lamottei?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!