Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New! Yellow Spotted!

shanski6710

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm Shannon and I live in Massachusetts. I'm new here and to salamanders (or any other amphibian or reptile for that matter)
The other night I found a little salamander (about 3 inches long including the tail) running through my work! I work in a machine shop and the poor little thing was covered in dust and metal chips (don't need to be an expert to know this isn't good, just an animal lover :D). I brought him home because the area is being torn up for building expansion and I felt as if he wouldn't survive.
I've done nothing but research since I brought him home. But its always good to get some opinions from experienced keepers. I'm 99% sure he is a yellow spotted since he is all black with a grayish belly and what seems to be two rows of yellow spots. He must be pretty young given his size and the fact that his spots are really little.
I have him (or her) in a 10 gallon tank right now with some "forest moss" bought from the pet store (I plan on changing this to a soil/moss mixture this weekend). He has a shallow water dish in there with a rock and a log. I've been feeding him crickets for now but plan on getting some worms tomorrow. He seems happy. He has eaten, He has been in his water dish and he has burrowed himself between the rock and the glass about two inches below the substrate. And he even shed his skin on Monday! That is good right? I read that it shows he is healthy and growing.
I mist the tank day and night with dechlorinated water just enough so the moss is damp. And the tank stays right around 66 degrees.
I just want to make sure it sounds like he is adjusting well or at least on his way to becoming adjusted.
A few questions I have are can I keep his food in the tank with him? Like can I keep worms IN the tank, or is it better to have portion control? I'd really like to turn this into a little vivarium setup with live plants and everything. Any tips on that? Also, I know the tank should be spot cleaned regularly, but how often should I clean out the entire setup? I have a light on (just in the room not over the tank) for a good portion of the day/night (I work nights) Should I move him to a darker room and use a light for "night and day" or is it ok for the light to be on most of the time? I read about powder for the insects. Is this necessary?
Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum. From the description it sounds like you have a yellow spotted salamander. As you are new to keeping salamanders, please take a look at this article: Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101. The information contained in the caresheet is applicable to yellow spotteds and answers many of the question you have.

I prefer to hand feed so will you know the animal's intake. Crickets in particular can cause harm when left in a tank as they can bite - if you do place in the tank, make sure to remove them after the sal is finished eating. There is no need for anything more than ambient light as these are nocturnal creatures.

Nazxul

Reaction score
Cool for you! I am a machinist to and would love to find something in our shop other than sakata bug or spiders.

Dugnbeck

Reaction score
Hey! I found several eggs hiking last year and raised them in my classroom. They turned out to be yellow spotted sallies. They are a year old now and I hardly ever see them. They dig holes in the terrarium. I feed them flightless fruit flies (Petsmart), crickets and worms. I just add things and they eat at their leisure. Their enclosure is as much like the area I found them in as possible. Good luck!!!
syvemyby.jpg
gajeheme.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1