Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie with baby axolotls

shepparton

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have just got two new young (about 5cm - no feet yet) axolotls. I was wondering what the best way to feed them is. I purchased frozen blood worms, but am finding that it's kinda difficult to get it to them, and they don't seem particularly interested in eating!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Dr. Phil

Reaction score
Little ones really like to see their food moving. You can try brine shrimp - they hatch quite quickly. We had some babies this summer and they ate lots of them. I also would get mosquito larvae with a net from standing water and they loved them too. Good luck!

fishkid

Reaction score
i'd also go for baby brine shrimp, buy a hatchery. Then when they are big enough move them onto live blackworms until they can take nightcrawlers. Please keep in mind that bloodworms are never a healthy staple for axolotls, they are effectively the candy of the axolotl world, they lack nutrients and will not allow healthy growth :)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Live, moving food at least until they get their front legs. In the US and some parts of Europe I would recommend blackworms. Elsewhere you should be able to get brineshrimp/artemia eggs and hatch them at home. Beyond that, Daphnia and Moina are good options. Microworms are small enough, but terrible for growth.

shepparton

Reaction score
Live, moving food at least until they get their front legs. In the US and some parts of Europe I would recommend blackworms. Elsewhere you should be able to get brineshrimp/artemia eggs and hatch them at home. Beyond that, Daphnia and Moina are good options. Microworms are small enough, but terrible for growth.
Thanks John, so they have tiny little stumpy legs - one of them eats a tiny bit of the bloodworm but the other one doesn't seem interested. I'm not sure where to get brineshrimp eggs from (I'm in Australia) but I'll check it out. Thanks!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks John, so they have tiny little stumpy legs - one of them eats a tiny bit of the bloodworm but the other one doesn't seem interested. I'm not sure where to get brineshrimp eggs from (I'm in Australia) but I'll check it out. Thanks!
You should be able to get them, or Daphnia or Moina - find an aquarium store.

JM29

Reaction score
about 5cm - no feet yet
Are they really 5 cm long ?
If so, brine shrimps look very tiny food.
Daphnia are a better choice in this case because they stay alive until they are eaten (and they clean the water too)
Bloodworms (but you say it's no use) ore small earthworms would be fine.

If they are 5 cm long and no feet, it could be a case of cannibalism. between 5 and 10 cm (2 to 4 inches), axolotls have marked cannibalistic behaviors and they readily snap each other's limbs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1