Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newcomer - Wanting an Axolotl

Wysper

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to the site, done a lot of reading here and there.

I'm looking to get into axolotl's, but have not made the plunge yet. I want to get as much information about them as I can before I put a life at risk! lol

Hope to learn lots of new things and meet some great helpful people. ;)

Wysper

Reaction score
I have been browsing the entire forum and the sales section for a few months now. I've wanted to get one for a few years, just haven't made that step yet.

Though I did find someone who posted Juvies for sale that lives only an hour away from me. So score! No need for shipping, and I can get to talk to someone who has experience with them too.

I currently have:

55g with South American Pearl Cichlids (and a few of their babies), a pleco, and a spotted Raphael talking catfish

35g with a single angelfish (rescued), a few tetras, a single guppy, and a twig catfish, and some snails

And a 20g waiting for my new axis I hope to pick up tomorrow!

Adopting a new pet is always a fun and scary experience. I'm only worried I may do something wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1