Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Newt appears after 11 months!!!

JeannieH

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a 72 gallon bow tank which I turned into a paludarium with approximately 20 gallons of water. Last year I attempted to keep firebelly newts in it. I bought one in November and another in December 2013. I found one dead in the end of December, never saw the other one for again, gave it up for dead and decided to give up newt-keeping. I increased the temperature, added fish and have been feeding them flake food only. There is no cover on the tank.

Yesterday I was astounded to see a small, (about 2 1/2 - 3" tip to tail) firebellly newt walking over my land mass, hanging out in my stream and then slipping behind a large piece of bark and disappearing! I had seen this same behavior in the newt I bought last December but never daw again. Could this be the same newt? Could a baby have been born in the tank? I am dumbfounded.

What do you think is going on?:confused:

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
I have heard of this type of thing before, but 11 months is a VERY long time for a newt to go in conditions like that! So it is most likely the same newt.

JeannieH

Reaction score
Yeah. I was too busy staring with my mouth hanging open wondering if I was hallucinating to think of that at the time:happy:. I wonder if I will see it again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1