Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt ate an algae wafer

chrispy

Reaction score
OK so my newt inst that long at about 2.5" long. I dropped in a piece of algae wafer for my small Placo and as soon as it dropped one of my Endlers started picking at it and my CFB Newt walked over and grabbed it. He took it to the corner and after about 20 seconds he had it all the way swollowed. Now the Wafers are small at about 3/8" in diameter and I break off small chunks of that. So he ate a piece of pie shaped waver about 1/8" wide at its largest and got smaller from there. Well it wasnt in the water all that long and i know they expand so can anyone give me some information here, I dont want him to explode later or have any internal problems. Is there any type of food I can give them to flush it out the other end just incase. So please give me some advise on this one please :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would be much more concerned about why you're keeping tropical fish (Endlers and Plecos) with a newt. In addition to being tropical, plecos have large defensive spines, as well as powerful suction mouths, both of which can harm a newt. This is a dangerous combination.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
ei like kaysie said that´s the wrongest thing to do. mixing tropical fih with newts that only take as maximum temprature 23ºC and you have them in 27/28ºC it´s not very heathy to both sides...
like hundreds os times was said, before the purchase inform your self first!
greetings,

Eljorgo

jbherpin

Reaction score
I would be much more concerned about why you're keeping tropical fish (Endlers and Plecos) with a newt. In addition to being tropical, plecos have large defensive spines, as well as powerful suction mouths, both of which can harm a newt. This is a dangerous combination.

I wouldn't keep any fish at all with newts. The only newt I have that has a chance at a regular meal with fish would be my Paddle-Tail. That being said, the only fish I would put in would be "feeder" Guppies, or Fat-Head Minnows. These options contribute less fat, and more crude protein than any other fish "meal". I know(or at least it seems) the fish were not intended as food, but even display fish can injure and kill newts of any kind, big or small. Once a neighbor of my grandparents tried to keep Eastern Newts with 2-3 goldfish in a decent size enclosure. In less than a week the gold fish had stripped all the toes off, and were starting on the tail and throat. I was horrified and never attempted to try any fish combinations because of the result witnessed...Just wanted to warn you, bad things can, and inevitably will happen...Best of luck!

The algae wafer should pass through quickly I'd assume, being that there is really nothing to contribute dietarily. If the specimen bloats, I'd try to contain on land(in a moist manner) to relieve the stress of trying to swim while bloated. Wait and see what it looks like before reintroducing to original set-up. If bloating prevails for more than a full day or so, I'd contact a vet. or an admin. on this forum for more technical and applied knowledge. I hope this helps, and keep us posted...

chrispy

Reaction score
My water runs cool as I got the placo from a breeder who prefers cooler water. Also Its a Gold Nugget female placo so I do not believe its size will evre reach that of the newts. As for the Endlers, They are just cheap feeders and have adapted to the cold very well. I have had them together for more then a year now and I have never had a problem. My two CFB newts dont seem to be effect as one is mostly aquatic and the other is more terrestrial. THank you for your concern and of course if there ever came to be a conflict I would act, but it seems pretty good so far.

chrispy

Reaction score
Yeah, I have read those. I had worried, but since I wouldnt stress if an Endler was eaten I didnt mind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1