Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt belly pattern recording

caleb

Reaction score
Hi all.

With the discussion on the legality of owning captive bred individuals of protected species, I was wondering if anyone was keeping records on
individual newts, and particularly recording by belly pattern.

Belly patterns have been used to identify individuals of crested newts (T. cristatus group) in field studies in the past. One method used animals in a plastic bag on a photocopier, another used an angled mirror to allow photography from below.

I recently bought a scanner for my computer, and am interested in using it to record and quantify colour change in the belly patterns of Bombina toads under different feeding regimes.

I've built a small perspex box (glued with epoxy resin) to protect the scanner, and allow the animals some moisture. A piece of foam rubber the
same size as the box allows the animal to be pressed down gently to keep it in the same place during the scan.

It seems to work quite well for the Bombina, though I'm not sure it would be as good for less robust or placid species. I suspect it would be a good way of keeping track of individuals of any newt with distinctive belly markings.

Any comments?

K

kai

Hi Caleb,

You can also use a wettened towel to gently keep the newts from moving. A plastic box helps to reduce heat stress since the glass plate of a scanner gets hot pretty fast (especially with several passes needed for color scans). If you needed to make long scanning sessions one could try to pre-cool the scanner with a plastic bag filled with ice cubes and water (haven't tried this yet).

You'll need to scan many newts repeatedly since the pattern tends to change/develop from juveniles to adults - and even changes with some adults (e.g. Paramesotriton).

Best wishes,
kai

caleb

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice- I've never had any trouble with the scanner heat yet, but I'll bear it in mind.

My scanner can do colour in single pass- I try to reduce stress by doing a low resolution pass (quicker than a high-res one) without a preview.

F

fiona

won't the brightness of the light be disturbing or blinding to them?

caleb

Reaction score
It might stress them for a short period of time, but it's had no long term effects on the Bombina toads I've used it on.

I don't think it would be any worse than taking a couple of photos using a flash...

K

kai

Also the eyes of most caudates are situated a little bit dorsally; covering the individuals with a damp cloth will help to limit direct exposure of the eyes. I agree with Caleb that this doesn't pose more than a temporary inconvenience. From my experience this seems to be true for specimens well used to captivity - I'm not sure I'd want to try this with freshly WC individuals of those species which shed their tails when stressed though...

Best wishes,
kai

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1