Newt going into filter again!

J

john

I gave stash and cavern, my 2 C.o.s, a new 20 gallon long tank. I separated the tank so it is 1/3 land and 2/3 water. I woke up this morning only to find stash in the filter again. I had a top on it. He must have crawled up this filter and into it. Why would he do that. What should I do.

Hi John! I'm new to newts, have one C.O. so far.

I'm pretty sure he climbed it because it was there, lol. And I believe these little guys will climb whatever they find to climb. Hope he's okay!

I have a simple solution for you IF your filter is a hang-on-the-back type- have been doing this on my big frog tanks and it works like a charm.

Get some plastic canvas- you can find it in the craft section at WalMart or at a craft store. It comes in 8 X 11 sheets for about 20 cents a sheet- it's the stuff used for needlepoint work.

Cut the canvas to create a perfect fit (no gaps) around the space where the filter and filter intake tube are. Use electrical tape to tape it snugly to the aquarium hood.

If you have a submersible filter, hmm, good question. There must be some way to prevent the climbing.

~Paula

Just wanted to add- if electrical tape is used, make sure there isn't any sticky-side-down directly above the intake tube, where a newt could get stuck to it. Imagine how horrifying that would be. I don't leave any sticky-side-down tape exposed on my tanks.

Im in the same situation as you are John, except my P waltl's are actually digging under the filter and making a little den under it! I bury the filter(fluval 2) on its side until there is only one intake left exposed and then I cover the edges with gravel and some biomax cylinders. The P waltl's will swim on top and start to push everything off until they have an opening, slowly but surely they get their way under the filter every time! Sometimes I look in the tank and get all worried when I can't find all four, just place a little food in the tank and out they come for supper! I have plenty of other hiding spots in the tank but Im lost as to why they like the filter den.....? Maybe your C.O. thinks the filter is a nice home too
biggrin.gif

cool thx. I was thinkin of getting a new type of filter I saw at the store. It had ajustable flow controls and had no spot a newt could fit in. I'll have to find a way to prevent it until then. Thx again.

Well I went out and got a new filter that he coulld never crawl into. Yeah. Thx for the help guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back