Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt Identification

C

curious

hi,
i was at the pet store today, and i saw a large newt with an annulated tail. i have looked at a lot of photos, and i can't find one like it. it looked like a warty newt of some sort. it was about 6 inches, semi rough skin, orange belly. but the tail was cylindrical and annulated like an earthworm. the people there were way too busy to help me, so i don't know what they were selling it as.
thanx

K

kai

No idea - sounds pretty weird.

How about giving them a phone call today? Even a wrong name might help to steer us in the right direction...

C

curious

honesty, i don't think they would have a clue because they sell p. honkongensis and p. chinensis as p. pyrrhogaster. if they don't know the difference between those species, i don't think they would know what sort of newt this one is. but i am going to be in that area today, so i may stop in and ask them what they are selling it as.
thanks

A

aaron

could be taricha granulosa-i've seen some with cylindrical tails in shops

~Aaron

C

curious

hi,
the pet store didn't know what it was either, but i have narrowed it down to either a female triturus cristatus, or a male out of breeding colors. i think what threw me was the size of this newt - it was huge!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1