Newt not eating

paulmichael

Reaction score
Country
United States
Three days ago I found what I believe to be a male red spotted eastern newt. I’m using my old 10 gallon fish tank for his enclosure. I put some gravel, moss, rocks, and a tree branch to provide for his terrestrial needs. And have about 25 percent water space for his aquatic life. I Keep him in temperatures around 50-65 degrees Fahrenheit since those were the temps I found him in. He’s been hiding quite a lot during the day and not eating which has me concerned. I’ve tried feeding earthworms and some store bought pellets. Is this normal behavior.

Attachments

• F06FCDBF-3757-42C1-979C-D1FE9D8C6047.jpeg
    F06FCDBF-3757-42C1-979C-D1FE9D8C6047.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 157
Personally? Where all else fails, qax worms serve me really well.

They're probably very stressed from capture. Leave it be, let it sit a few days, and feed it some big squishy wax worms, they usually go right for the.

From the image, the newt on the branch seems to be an eastern newt eft. They need a setup with no water or just a very shallow water dish. Dwarf white isopods, pinhead crickets, white worms, and baby dubia roaches are good foods for them.

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Notophthalmus viridescens - Eastern Newt

I would also disinfect the wood by boiling it for an hour or so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back