Newt tank setup.

Citrol

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I’ve been looking into getting a newt for quite some time now, probably either a fire belly or an eastern. My question is regarding enclosures. I have kept a pretty big variety of animals so I have some spare tanks laying around. Would like your opinions on which would be the most ideal for a single or pair of newts. Would probably want to get them as babies to see the metamorphosis process.

The tanks I have on hand are

20G Long 30x12x12
37G 30x12x22
18x18x18 cube exoterra (About 10g if filled to the bottom of the doors.

Originally I was going to use the exo terra cube but am hesitant because of the limited space for a water section. If you have any tank size suggestions I’m all ears. Thanks 👍🏻

Bigger is usually better. I use 20 longs, with escape proof lids.

I would say either of those long takes would be ideal, would allow you to have a deeper water section. However, the cube would be doable - but you wouldn't have enough room for more than a pair of newts probably. The vertical space of the cube above the door water line would be wasted space.

That being said, if you get efts/juveniles, they would be fine in the cube with only a small amount of water, since they are typically terrestrial at that point in life, but as herpin man mentioned above, bigger tank is still better so the longer tanks would still be more ideal

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back