Newt traps/ salamander traps

Snakes0415

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Keith
Hi guys I've heard of people setting salamander traps/newt traps. So I was wondering can these hurt the animal? Do they work? What is the best trap to make? And by the way I live in michigan.

I guess a pitfall trap could work for terrestrial salamanders/newts. Trapping adults in a aquatic environment is a bit trickier as they need to come up to breathe so they could easily drown in a submerged trap.

Regards Neil

I saw one way to make an aquatic trap where they took a bucket and put the cone part of a soda bottle in it and put pool noodles at the top so only the top part floated.

I used to use "funnel traps" to catch aquatic herps, but I don't do it anymore because of the reason Neil pointed out. Its just not safe.

Pitfall trapping is a affective way to catch caudata's, but you may need to check with your state/county on if it is legal.

I've used bottle traps and mesh funnel traps to trap newts- experience of trapping is a prerequisite for getting a licence to work with crested newts in the UK.

Bottle traps are usually made by cutting the end off a plastic bottle, and inverting it to make a funnel-shaped opening. They need to be secured in the pond, and to have a large air reservoir inside them so anything that's trapped can breathe.

Similarly, mesh traps should not be completely submerged, so anything that's trapped can reach the surface to breathe.

I've never seen an asphyxiated newt in a trap. It's more likely in hot weather, if the trap is left for a long time, or if there are a lot of animals in one trap. I have seen a couple killed by fish that were caught alongside them.

Pitfall trapping is usually done with drift fencing to direct animals into the traps, and traps often have 'mammal ladders' (usually just a stick) to allow mammals to escape. They're sometimes covered to minimise bird predation.

I've used bottle traps and mesh funnel traps to trap newts- experience of trapping is a prerequisite for getting a licence to work with crested newts in the UK.

Bottle traps are usually made by cutting the end off a plastic bottle, and inverting it to make a funnel-shaped opening. They need to be secured in the pond, and to have a large air reservoir inside them so anything that's trapped can breathe.

Similarly, mesh traps should not be completely submerged, so anything that's trapped can reach the surface to breathe.

I've never seen an asphyxiated newt in a trap. It's more likely in hot weather, if the trap is left for a long time, or if there are a lot of animals in one trap. I have seen a couple killed by fish that were caught alongside them.

Pitfall trapping is usually done with drift fencing to direct animals into the traps, and traps often have 'mammal ladders' (usually just a stick) to allow mammals to escape. They're sometimes covered to minimise bird predation.

So have you had much luck with pitfall traps?

I've never tried it myself, though I have seen some in use.

The most common way it's used here is by putting up a fence around a breeding pond, with pitfall traps at intervals on each side. This will catch (pretty much) all the newts going to or from that pond- this is used when relocating great crested newts from development sites.

I wouldn't have thought random pitfall traps would catch much- you would need something to direct newts or salamanders into it. They'd also only be useful during the season when the animals were actively moving about.

hahaha, ill have to try some of these trap ideas:D

Window wells and storm drains act as pitfall traps. Just be sure to get permission before checking strangers' window wells, they might not like you getting up close and personal with their houses...

Pitfall traps need to be checked everyday to prevent the animals from drying out and dying

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back