Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

NEWTBIE

CJSPCS16

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am fairly new to being an axie owner. I had/have 3(only 2 now) axolotls from hatchlings. I got them in feb/March. I have/had a wild type, luminescent and I believe a golden albino. Unfortunately I lost the luminescent, I tried my hardest to keep it alive, fridging, water, food etc. It was the tiniest of the bunch always had an air bubble and floated upside down or on its side. I had them all together in a Tupperware until they all got their legs then separated them and they have been since. Not sure what happened with lumie, but I had to let it go 😢 so I still have wild and golden..... i use only bottled water in their Tupperware they are only about an inch long. The wild has been consistently strong and the golden was too, up until a few days ago. It is lethargic looking floating on its back not really eating, i fridged it for a night and it came back, today it is not moving as much. I have minimal water as it seems to have an air bubble.

I have primarily fed them brine shrimp 🍤, I have tried frozen blood worms they are not that interested and the same with pellets. I am getting my stuff together to get their tank ready ive done a lot of research and know what to and not to do. I just can't figure out what is really goin on with my golden. I thought it was dead this morning, completely limp. I changed its water and it started to barely move. I am sure that I scared it by poking and prodding but I was worried 😟. Anyone have any insight again they are juveniles and only about an inch long.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
HI

Sorry to hear about your GFP

I find babies do best on live food growing with them. How old are these guys now? by size I'd guess 4 weeks?

What type of bottled water are you using? What temp does their water sit at? how often are you changing it?

CJSPCS16

Reaction score
They are about 6 months old. They are slowly growing I fed/ feed them live brine shrimp. I don't know what other live foods to feed them that I have access to where I am located.

CJSPCS16

Reaction score
I change the water no more than 2 days. I use a bottled water through Albertsons. I keep the bottled water in the fridge.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
They are only 1 inch at 6 months old? They may be stunted and be minis

Contact 123livefood - daphnia, white worms are awesome

and find a blackworm source you can buy from

Axolotls should grow 1 inch per month. i.e. my 3.5 month old axolotls are 3.5 " long and my 7 week olds are 1.5-2" long

CJSPCS16

Reaction score
I have used the bottled water from the get go.... wouldn't it have killed them early on? I'll get some spring water. I've attached pics of them maybe I have just had the wrong food?

Attachments

• 20200803_122930.jpg
    20200803_122930.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 171
  • 20200803_122800.jpg
    20200803_122800.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 151

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
They arent getting enough food and look to have a bit of anemia which has to do with the water and food combo

give them a ton of fresh hatched brine shrimp shaved frozen bloodworm makes it smaller and sometimes they will eat it in a pinch,

daphnia and blackworms would be best - white worms will help if you cant find blackworms.

They are suffering from effects - they should be 6" long

CJSPCS16

Reaction score
This week I will be getting my sponge filter from Amazon so I can start the acclimation for the next 2 wks. I have fed them consistant brine shrimp. Do you think that is why they are still small? I have tried pieces of frozen blood worms but they don't seem interested. I have recently gotten the axie pellets too....they really don't seem to enjoy it.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
no do not keep him in the fridge

for air bubbles its keep water low and keep them fed - offer fresh bbs twice a day they should eat a ton and keep a fat orange belly.

change water once or twice a day to clean up the old bbs

CJSPCS16

Reaction score
Hey there, i think its taken a turn for the worst this morning when I moved it around I could see organ movement then when I went to change the water just now its mouth was open and I didn't see organ movement.... do you think i was to late?

CJSPCS16

Reaction score
Yeah Goldie didn't make it😭 Speckles is doing good though. I plan to get another one but I'm gonna get Speckles going stronger. Thank you so much for your support and advice 🙏

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1