Newts per gallon?

AidanD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aidan
I’m seeing a lot of conflicting arguments about how many newts can be housed in a certain amount of space. I’m looking into getting T. dobrogicus, but since my budget was reduced the largest tank I’ll be setting up is a 10 gallon. I’m wanting a trio, but is that enough space? I’ve seen people who give their Danube’s 40-50 gallons for only a few newts and some who keep as many as 4-5 in a 10 gallon. I definitely want as many as possible, but the last thing I want to do is overcrowd the tank.

I’m seeing a lot of conflicting arguments about how many newts can be housed in a certain amount of space. I’m looking into getting T. dobrogicus, but since my budget was reduced the largest tank I’ll be setting up is a 10 gallon. I’m wanting a trio, but is that enough space? I’ve seen people who give their Danube’s 40-50 gallons for only a few newts and some who keep as many as 4-5 in a 10 gallon. I definitely want as many as possible, but the last thing I want to do is overcrowd the tank.

a trio would work but i would have it heavily planted if not then you would prob need to do frequent water changes.

I’m planning on setting it up bare bottom, so water changes will be frequent regardless. Sounds like it should work for a trio though, thanks!

I keep three alpine newts in a 20 long and feel that's the best size for three or more newts.

A 20 long isn't that much more expensive than a 10 gallon. Used ones are often available on Craigslist or from local fishkeepers. I think you'd prefer it in the long run.

Good luck.

More a matter of space for me, plus having something small to take to college will be nice. Idk, maybe if I see something eye catching that stays a bit smaller I’ll consider that instead. In the meantime, I’ll probably knock my plans down to a pair rather than a trio. Thanks for all the help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back