Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts senses

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Some more questions here, they might seem a little silly but I'm new to the newts so please bear with me :eek:. I know that newts are supposed to be nocturnal so why then did I find my eastern red spotted eft walking down a mountain path in broad day light? Another thing they also seem to hunt really well in the day time when I throw in crickets they usually don't miss. Also how good is their hearing and eye sight in comparison to ours? On another topic here I just bought a little thermometer and humidity gauge, what are the ideal levels throughout the year for Notophthalmus viridescens? Thanks again for your help!!:D

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure all newts are nocturnal as such, I think if the conditions are right most will venture out and hunt at any time. Newts are quite toxic, Red efts especially are so poisonous, that they would probably kill anything that tried to eat them, so there's no need for them to sneak about only at night. It's true that newts aren't often seen on land, but once mature, many species return to the ponds to breed in the spring and summer and do a large part of their feeding in the water where they can be seen swimming up for air and going about their business at any time of day.
As far as senses go, they seem to have good eyesight and an excellent sense of smell, I'm not sure about hearing, but they seem to be able to pick up vibrations in the water quite well.

Autumncrossing

Reaction score
Wow newts are so fascinating!!! Thanks for all the info :D. One last question, I finally finished my newts new home, does it seem okay? The right side is water with a lot of plants and rocks so the newts can get out, I might have went a little over board with the plants but I was worried since I read efts can't swim. It really amazes me how social these animals are, they all huddle together inside the tree stump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 222
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1