Nicked tail - refusing food

EJgraydon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
EJ
Charmander nicked his tail somehow :/
He's also acting more skiddish than usual, he's generally happy to play with fingers, chase tongs, etc..
Instead he flips out and zooms away if anything touches him..
I tried feeding him part of a worm but he wouldn't take it..
I just added a few ghost shrimp to the tank, don't know if that effects anything..
Water quality is good, temp is good.
If you notice he has a nick on top and at the end of the bottom of his tail
ejgraydon-albums-charmander-axolotl-picture27706-2013-03-19-17-09-19-250.jpg

ejgraydon-albums-charmander-axolotl-picture27705-2013-03-19-16-58-31-670.jpg

Is he okay? :/

Nicks in tails happen from flicking it too hard against something & can also be accompanied by slightly bloody patches - this all tends to heal quickly & will probably be unnoticeable in a couple of days - incredible magical healers :D

As for sticking some ghost shrimp in the tank - where were they sourced from?
If you've bred them yourself = great!
If they're from a pet shop = probably best to quarantine them separately for at least a couple of weeks (14-30days) before putting them in with your lotl - the risk of introducing parasites or any form of disease is definitely not what you want to be doing. This applies to any feeder fish or new lotls being added in.

<3 >o_o< <3

I asked around about quarantine for them and everyone said it wasn't necessary :/

Mine had a slight rip in his tail. Don't know how he got his, their skin looks so thin i guess it can be easily done. He should be fine, it will heal up.

That slight line on the end of my axies tail was a similar nick to yours, now it's nearly gone. Excuse the bad photo, he was hanging out in his plants and I had to wiggle my finger in front of him to get the photo. He's now looking at me like 'what was all that about?' ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 319
Also, would this explain his skiddishness and not wanting to eat? Should I just hold off for a little bit?

If it's just happened maybe he's a little stressed. Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon. I'd just leave him to chill out for a while. :happy:

]Is that an albino, if it is then it could be normal my golden albino gets these in their tails when i bought them , and if he refuses to eat , take a fish or something that moves and place it in his mouth keep making it move near his mouth and he will eat it , i have tried this and it works :)
take a look here at my golden albino:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61718568@N06/8563711473/in/photostream
i really think that ur axie is growing that's why it gets those white stuff

So, the nick in his tail shows a little bit of blood spotting, but its made some obvious improvement.
He also had no problem eating today, and isn't skitting away.

In other news, I moved a bunch of the ghost shrimp to an empty 10 gallon with dechlorinated water andd they all died.

2 Ghost shrimp in my fish tank just died, they seem to be quite sensitive.

I have a friend who got a load of shrimp at the same time yesterday, his all died overnight as well. I let the shop know just in case.

I'm starting to think it was something with his earthworms.. I tried to feed him an earthworm and he ran from it.. But when I put some thawed bloodworms in his feeding jar (had to coax him into the jar) he sat there for a minute but he's eating them.. slowly but surely.

Are the earthworms red wrigglers? They are supposed to taste quite foul.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back