Nikon D40 vs Nikon D60

merk199

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
rick
Ok I have been looking into getting a SLR. I have been considering the D40. Is the only difference between the D40 and D60 the megapixels, and the D60 camera body can autofocus? My real confusion besides my everyday confusion :rolleyes: is on the lens themselves. I am looking to be able to take pictures of my newts, fish, and etc, but I would also like to be able to take pictures of my kids or general type of photographs. Is there one lens for all? Or do I need two lenses. I see people are recommending the 18-55mm is that correct?

the 18-55mm is the kit lens that comes with these camera if you buy them together....the d60 has the same lens but a VR version..shake reduction....I have a friend who has the d60 and they really like it. When I was looking for a camera I was dead set on buying a d40 till I held one in my hand very light and very small. I ended up buying a older d50 which was alittle bigger and heavier. Now I got a d200 with a battery pack on and it is twice the size of the d50. But I would check out the feel of the camera to seeif you like how it "handles" These "newer cameras cannot use autofocus on older lenses because they do not have a internal motor like the older d50 or d80. The motor is built into the newer lenses. IF you did get one with a 18-55mm lens you could buy some close up filters for macro. I would also suggest a external falsh because the built in flash won't hit a "close-up" subject....I would check out the sony dslr they don't cost as much and have less exspensive lenses. My other buddy has one and he likes it alot it has a flip lcd screen. just do as much research as you can before you buy to see what is best for you.................................................................................

The D60 does not have an autofocus screw - it needs AFS lenses. There's a nice comparison table on this page by Thom Hogan (it compares to the D90 and the D5000 too) - scroll down until you see the table in the Basics Section:

http://bythom.com/nikond60review.htm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back