Ningyo and Pachua

Alioth

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Display Name
Tess
Here are some pictures of our new babies (our first axolotls !)
We love them a lot! They're 6 months old and now 12 cm (4,7 inch) long.
It's a wild type (Pachua) and a leucist (Ningyo) . The wild type is presumably male, because he has a very big cloaca in comparison with the leucist.
We adopted them from people who had babies from their own axolotls. Very happy we didn't have to go to a shop (because of the horror they're doing to animals sometimes!)

Ningyo
SAM_0065.jpg

SAM_0064.jpg

SAM_0060.jpg

SAM_0053.jpg

Pachua
SAM_0050.jpg

SAM_0047.jpg

SAM_0043.jpg

SAM_0037.jpg

Awwwww so cute and delicate :p nice axies!

cute axies & nice piccies :happy:

Lovely pics!

I love the name Ningyo, I considered it for one of mine!

So the legend goes, if you eat ningyo, you will live for 800 years, but no axolotl on toast please :cool:

Where does the name Pachua come from?

It's a Native American Hopi name meaning "feathered water snake."
But I also read a story once about a water dragon named Pachua, I can't seem to find it online though :happy:. I'll try to find it again :happy:.
Finally someone who likes the names!!!!! :D Most people do not and say: Why didn't you call them Flip and Flap or something like that!:wacko:

Flip and Flap

Hahahaha! You'll have to get two more and call them that, now!

Pachua is a perfect name for an axolotl then, wish I'd thought of that :p

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Oh my! Sooooo cuuute! For some reason, female axi's always look so cute when they're that pinkish colour :wacko: The pics r so clear, what did u take them with?

Thanks a lot for the nice comments!! I love this forum allready and I'm planning to become an active member :D !
When I have more time I will search all your topics for looking at your axies too! Because i'm shure they are as cute as mine!

For the pictures, I used a samsung ES65, a rather cheap camera ;). I just put the light of the aquarium on (it's not on a lot, because I know they don't like it, but it doesn't seem to bother them) and the flashlight of the camera off. Then I wait till they are close to the glass and put my camera against the glass (they seem to like that, they come and see what all the movement is :D). Set the camera on macro and take a pic :happy: and pray that they don't move at the moment you shoot, because then the picture is blurry.

New pictures with moonlight!

Their home!

DSC01257.jpg

Ningyo & Pachua eating
DSC01241.jpg

And then a couple of Ningyo. Thanks to his color it's still possible to take pictures!

DSC01246.jpg

DSC01248.jpg

Snif Snif! Wormpie :mrgreen:

DSC01253.jpg

We used the dioder LED kit from ikea (39,95 euro) it's not waterproof, so we taped it against the back of the aquarium till we figure a way out to waterproof it. Though I think the effect is stunning allready and that for a low price... You can change it in 8 colours (white-yellow-green-light blue-dark blue-pink-purple-red), the dark blue colour is ideal for moonlight :).

New pictures! They're growing so fast (16 cm now!)

Attachments

• DSC01343.jpg
    DSC01343.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC01345.jpg
    DSC01345.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC01346.jpg
    DSC01346.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC01347.jpg
    DSC01347.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 707
  • DSC01348.jpg
    DSC01348.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 288
They have grown indeed! Compared to your first picture theyre monsters now :D

How cute in the new pics.. Look like theyre kissing ;)

New piccies! They have grown a lot :D
Ningyo = 17 cm & Pachua = 20 cm
Aren't they adorable?

Attachments

• SAM_0105.jpg
    SAM_0105.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 528
  • SAM_0110.jpg
    SAM_0110.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 596
  • SAM_0116.jpg
    SAM_0116.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 236
  • SAM_0129.jpg
    SAM_0129.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 234
  • SAM_0130.jpg
    SAM_0130.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 231
  • SAM_0142.jpg
    SAM_0142.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 236
  • SAM_0138.jpg
    SAM_0138.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 325
Thank you for the nice reply :D!
Ningyo (leucist) is getting dark spots and I'm curious where that will lead to :)

They are sooo cute!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back