Nip in the tail...

siona

Reaction score
Country
England
I just noticed today that my axie has a small nick out of her tail! I'm guessing her tank mate thought it would taste good. It's only small and she doesn't seem to be bothered by it but I was wondering how it's going to heal? Will it ever grow back completely? Or just heal over? I know they can grow back a limb, but what about bits of dorsal fin??

This happens frequently when you have multiple axolotls in a tank. It should grow back completely, but don't be surprised if it happens again. Evidently the tail of a tank mate sticking out of a log looks enough like a worm to take a bite!

Just be mindful of fungus; sometimes it pops up with little nips.

Last edited:
That's good - I wouldn't want her having a raggedy tail! I've got two and I've just upgraded their tank from 2 ft to 3 ft so they now have plenty of room to sit about not do much in!

siona - dont stress about it I have 3 axies and for the 1st time in 6 months all 3 are missing a bit of tail which is weird but all have grown back very quickly :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back