Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Nitrate Help

sb59706

Reaction score
I have been having some issues with my tank, I just recently had an axolotl die and that made me start digging into what the issue was, so I decided to check the water.

pH: 7.6
Nitrate: 160 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
I have a 20 gallon tank with two grown axolotls and a large filter and a bubble maker in the tank.

The thing is I need help getting down the nitrate. I have been doing 50% water changes for the past two weeks and I changed the substrate thinking that there was leftover poop or food in there, and I've scrubbed off all the algae from the tank. I've got no idea what else to go. I also tried using some nitrate filter rocks that didn't do squat. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! My two axolotls would probably be much happier with healthier water.

BrooklynD

Reaction score
That's a dangerously high amount for an animal to be living in there. Though, I'm sure you know that. I would do more than a 50% water change, I'd do as low as you can get the water to the sand. That should get it down. Also check the water level from you're filling back up your tank. That water could have nitrates in it, which probably is not helping. One of the last suggestions I could give you is I don't have any experience with plants but I hear they "suck up" nitrates. Maybe putting some plants in there could help if this nitrates thing becomes a long term problem for you. I know there's some good plants that have worked with axolotls since they take low light. I would also wait 24 hours after your 90% water change to check water perimeters as I've found that I get totally different things when I check right after and 24 hours after.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!