Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nitrites spike in apparently cycled tank

Abyssal Pyre

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a problem with nitrites in my tank. It's been 40 days of cycling now, and I thought it was ok.
I started cycling with a canister filter, using the "sera bio nitrivec" liquid bacteria to establish the nitrogen cycle, I put the bacteria every time I do a water change depending on how much water I change.

I had a lot of ammonia the first weeks, and it spiked up and down a bit. Nitrites started appearing soon after, and they spiked to 1.7 mg/l (ppm) more than two weeks ago. I did water changes weekly, doing a bigger 75% water change when nitrites spiked. This week, ammonia and nitrites were stable for a few days, and nitrates appeared. The readings were constant, water tested every day:
0.004 ppm NH3
0.000 ppm N02
10 to 20 ppm N03 (varying)
So yesterday evening I decided to put the little axie in, who was super happy to be in his new tank.

This morning though I tested my water, and the values were:

0.004 ppm Ammonia
0.5 (maybe MORE) ppm Nitrites
0.25 ppm Nitrates

Ph has always been a stable 7.5, temperature 17-19 degrees
I quickly tubbed the little guy out of the tank in fresh dechlorinated water (as he was before). I re-tested to make sure it wasn't a false reading, and it was not. I also tested my tap water to make sure it was ok, and it has 0 Nitrites.

My question is: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN MY TANK? Lol
I assume cycled hasn't kicked in yet, but what should I do next? Why this cycling is so weird and going up and down in values compared to the "linear" cycling phases I see online?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1