Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Noise

cloth

Reaction score
Had anyone had any experience of S.s.gallaica making any kind of noise before?

S

steve

Cloth , I was going to ask the same thing.

I swear my Ambystoma mavortium SQUEAK when they have to bend fast to catch crickets. (or maybe its because their overweight LOL)

anyone else hear this?

Im going to record it and post it on the forum.

K

kaysie

could be they are quickly forcing air from their lungs and the air vibrates around the mouth area, causing a squeak, which is how a whistle works.

morg

Reaction score
I have not heard it from salamanders before, but Triturus vulgaris will sometimes make a small mouse like squeak when disturbed or picked up.

Y

yago

I have heard several times a sound like ‘kick’ from t.boscai under a threaten circumstance.

M

matt

My noisiest Caudates - apart from my biggest Axolotl eating - are my Pleurodeles watl.
They squeak like mice especially at night. A lot of it **seems** to be attached to interactions between individuals - i.e. "arguments". Occasionally you can see the bubble follow the squeak!
Oh and the other day I saw an otherwise happy, healthy, fed P. watl chasing (it seemed!) his back leg round and round in circles,like a dog obsessed by his tail.
What on earth was that all about (no squeak that time)...?!

mike

Reaction score
My tiger salamder squeaks loudly when extremely agitated. Frightened me to death first time I heard it as I had never heard a sal make any noise before.

duncan

Reaction score
I heard my T. cristatus squeal the other day for the first time when I was feeding them earthworms and one of the females grabbed a male's leg in the "feeding frenzy." It was quite loud, and like Mike, made me jump! SInce that time, they've done it a few more times and there are usually bubbles that follow the noise. It does seem like they are forcing air out of their lungs in order to protest!

mike

Reaction score
Certainly Triturus/Notopthalmus/Salamandra will let out a high-pitched squeak if handled roughly, but I came across an interesting observation by D. Ballasina. He states in his book: Amphibians of Europe, a colour field guide.(1884), that Salamandra salamandra "has a faint mating call resembling that of Bufo bufo."
Now that i've never heard.
happy.gif

S

sergé

Ballasina is not really an authority on Amphibians...but he has a 'reputation' concerning transporting Dutch and Belgian Red-eared sliders to his turtle centre in Italy where they can 'retire' (and escape and form a threat to endemic emys...but no law holds him down).
Well, back to noises.. my Salamandra corsica male makes noise! It is a sqeak or peeping sound. Almost always when you touch it. But there is a lot of discussion round this theme..perhaps we should try to record it..and put it on the web..a little sound corner....

K

kaysie

While I was holding onto Rob St John's ambystoma macrodactylum, i had them in a small tank (read 1 gallon ice cream bucket) for a short amount of time, and they squeaked all night. chasing each other around and such. they also made low "pop" sounds *shrug*

P

paul

I often hear a low noise - like "plink" - when I feed my juvenile Cynops.

Paul

T

tara

I can definitely hear my cynops jeuvies chewing. they are such loud eaters. I have also heard squeeks from my aquatic adult Cynops, usually when they get aggressive with each other during feeding; as well I have heard squeeks from my Triturus and Taricha during aggressive encounters, but these encounters are much less common than among my Cynops.

B

bernardino

Hello, i'm from Galicia, in the North west of Spain, and where my summer house is, there are lots of Salamandra salamandra gallaica. And the answer to your question is yes, they do squeak, but not every time they are captured. I heard that noise several times during the past years and emitted by males and females, but what I still don't know is what triggers the production of the squeak, because not all the salamanders do it when they are caught.
dino

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1