Noob questions -

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of probably silly questions:

I’ve only had my axolotls a few days and they have been feeding on blood worm so far; I will get worms but for me I wanted to get them settled into the tank and eating something first.

1) The lady in the shop mentioned she fed them as a treat occasionally raw prawn. Now this is the stupid question but I want to check; raw prawns are the grey ones? Will it make a difference if they are raw or cooked? If they get it say once a month?

2) As for pellets; what are the best sort of pellets to get? I wouldn’t use them regularly; it’s more for if I go away then my mam can just drop pellets in for me instead of messing around with worms!

3) Where is the best place to buy worms from? I did phone the local fishing bait shop and they weren’t sure where the worms came from (i.e. if they were pesticide free lol – yes we asked). I’m sure the ones in my garden will be ok, and I’m sure none of the neighbours use pesticides/weedkiller – however 2 doors away they do; would it make a difference? Should I just buy some?

4) Assuming I’ve bought some nice juicy live worms; then how and where is the best place to store them?

5) How much should they be eating? I have three, two are about 4.25inches and the other is 3.5 inches? Yesterday they got two blocks of blood worm between them!

6) Also how often should they be eating? I’m feeding them daily for the first week or so just to “fatten” them up a bit and make sure they are ok. After that would every other day be ok?

Thank you :)

If you are thinking of using prawns, you should make sure they are freshwater, as it is not very good to feed saltwater creatures to a freshwater one.

Im not too sure about pellets in the uk, I will let someone experienced in that tell you, I wouldnt mind finding out too.

The best thing however is the earthworm/compost worm, I have found this site which sells organic worms online, Worm farm - worms for live bait, worm composting and wormeries. Otherwise garden worms from your own garden should be absolutely fine, as long as no chemicals have been used.

Store them in a large tub, even a recycling tub with a heap of damp soil inside and they should be fine. Make sure you keep the soil damp, not wet, and keep a lid ontop, I found 3 dried up worms on my kitchen floor yesterday. And you could throw some kitchen scraps inside to feed the worms, nothing acidic like orange peel etc... Soak for a few minutes before feeding to your axies, who will love them.

They will eat a couple of worms at a time, I generally feed a block of blood worm in the morning and a couple of worms later in the day, and they can eat a worm around the same length as their body, amazing, you will get used to the amount of food they will eat with no waste left over. They will eat like crazy when they are younger so twice a day, and then once a day, then every other day, as they get a bit older it will be two or three times a week. Its hard to tell when they are young really as every time you go near them they give you their feed me eyes, but you will do ok, good luck!! ;)

Thank you for your reply.I’ll enquire about pellets if I don’t get a reply on here; the lady in the shop said that she fed them pellets so I can always ask her.

I’m definitely going to get my own wormery once I’ve moved house but at the moment I can’t (living with parents) but I’ve aimed to finish my house restoration by Christmas. However my parents are on holiday soon so I’m going to order some worms for the newts and axolotls then hehe.

One of mine is CONSTANTLY looking out for food. I’ve been feeding them blood worm via the turkey baster at the moment and I found a flaw in that plan…if I need to syphon any leftovers or any dirt out the tank they are attacking it for food. At the moment for the 3 of them two blocks of blood worm are fine, there were half a dozen or so worms left over yesterday but that was it. If one sees the turkey baster he’s at the top of the tank attacking it; another is getting like him and the third one waits patiently for the turkey baster to reach her and then *opens mouth* lol.

P.S. I’m not too far away from you, just a short jump cross country to Newcastle J

I think Ive seen pellets for sale on ebay, might be worth having a look.

Nice to know someone is so close, everyone else seems so far away. I feel much better now. ;)

If you know anyone over your way who is interested in wild type young uns, let me know, Ive got about 15 to find homes for, all 15 weeks old, and so cute, could meet em at carlisle, only want a fiver each, I know its cheeky but they are a bit of a hand full, Im going to advertise over this way too, ;)

You can feed them newt and salamander pellets (I got mine from petsmart) at least I assume so. I feed mine the pellets and he eats them every day and loves them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back