Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

North Georgia

slowfoot

Reaction score
I recently got back from a three day backpacking trip in Northern Georgia (almost in Tennessee) and I thought I'd share a few of the photos I took. I'm not very good with identifying Eastern species, so I'm not going to ID anything. I'll just post them up and let the experts guess :eek: My traveling companions were a botanist, an entomologist, and a dog, so they weren't much help with the herps.

Anyway, it was a really nice trip. The trail actually starts on the top of a ridge, then drops down slowly to the river valley. Multiple small side streams feed into the river along the way until it becomes a respectable size. I think we crossed the river about 25 times - some of the crossings were a little hairy with a heavy pack.

hiking.JPGlow river.JPGrivermid.JPGcrossing river.JPG

Some salamanders from the first day. Sorry for the blurry and poor quality pics - I blame the camera and the photographer:

sal1.JPGsal3.JPGsal4.JPGsal5.jpg

slowfoot

Reaction score
Both nights, we camped right by the river. I got to go salamander hunting while everyone else helped set up the tent. These guys were found a little bit above the river's edge, on the valley slopes:

sal6.JPGsal7.JPGsal8.JPG

Some shots of the river near camp:

camp1.JPGcamp2.JPG

Salamanders from day two and three:

sal9.JPGsal10.JPGsal11.JPG

On the night of day two, it rained from about 4pm until two in the morning. We put on our headlamps and went out looking for critters. Unfortunately, my camera is extra non-waterproof so I had to leave it behind, but our camp was crawling with salamanders - it was hard to just walk without stepping on them. I caught one of the largest slimy salamanders I've ever seen. Not such a good night for making dinner, but a great night for herping.

slowfoot

Reaction score
Then we had to leave :( Some shots of the forest after a night of rain:

upper river.JPGmist.JPG

And yours truly, looking lovely after two days of rain and mud:

me.JPG

Thanks for looking! Take a shot at ID'ing those guys.

oregon newt

Reaction score
Nice finds. Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm probably no expert, but it looks like you found alot of duskies. I won't even try to identify the specific species.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a great trip! The second photo on Day 2 is a slimy salamander (probably P. glutinosus).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, looks like a bunch of Desmognathus. Third last photo looks like a Hemidactylium scutatum. And you have a Slimy in there, as Jen pointed out. It's possible one or more of those "Desmognathus" is a Gyrinophilus porphyriticus.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
And by the way, thanks for sharing!

slowfoot

Reaction score
Thanks for the guesses on the ID's. The only one I'm sure about is P. glutinosus. My husband also found a large, completely black salamander... or so he says ;) I didn't get a good look at it, but I was wondering what it could possibly be. My guide book is not giving me anything that fits.

marco

Reaction score
Very nice pictures, looks like a good trip.

Would I be right in guessing that those salamanders breathe through their skin? Looks like an exesivley humid/damp place.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The black sal could've been a dozen different things. Unspotted Ambystoma maculatum, blackbellied sal, lightly pigmented slimy.

Marco, yes, the vast majority of salamanders in this region are lungless.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!