Not eating, moving a lot, possible fungus?

LaylaMoonpie

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi! My axie is swimming without rest, thrashing around and scratching his gills a lot. He doesn't want to eat since three days, makes me really worried. He had problems with fungus in the past but I'm not sure if it's the same or if it's some other disease. I only now noticed a "white ball thing" next to his gills and am not sure if it's fungus or something more serious.
I recently changed his water and did everything as always so it should be ok and he didn't act like this in the beginning. Water temperature is below 22°C so it shouldn't be a problem either. I'm attaching the photo I took. The weird "white ball" is right next to the bottom gill. Is it fungus or could it be something worse? :,(

Attachments

• 20220713_155833.jpg
    20220713_155833.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 354
He might be in discomfort because of the temperature. It's on the high side. Target range should be 16-19C whereas 22C is at the high point of tolerable. Try lowering that with fans, ice water bottles, or a chiller. Fans should do the trick though.

Also, what are the other water parameters?

if he is rubbing at his gills this can mean an irritation, this can be anything from fungus to parasites to gas ingestion.
first of the water parameters should be tested to ensure that the nitrogen compounds are in check, next would be to reduce water temperature ideal is 15°c - 18°c and although they are tolerant up to 24°c this is only for very short periods, with axolotls colder is better and although they can go down to 4°c it is better to keep them in the double digits, for ideal and tolerant levels see here.. Water Quality Explained: How It Can Affect Your Axolotl's Health - WSAVA 2015 Congress - VIN
because of the colouration or your axolotl it is hard to tell from the photo what type of growth it is although it does look like an abnormal gill growth and is probably harmless.
because you said the thrashing, scratching at gills and lack of eating after a change, I would say that there is a water issue.
remove your axolotl to a tub of cold dechlorinated water then go through the sand at the bottom of the tank with a fork turning it over then do a 50% water change cleaning the filter media in the old tank water, let everything settle then put you axolotl back in the tank.
also if he is prone to fungus use holtfreters solution, info here.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

I changed the water, the parameters are all ok with pH at 7.6. The water is still slightly high at 21°C which I'm working on getting lower but generally it was always more or less at 20°C and it never was a problem. After I changed water it was fine for some time, he wasn't moving as much and even ate two worms which made me feel relieved but I noticed that he started scratching his gills again :,(
I also don't see any noticible changes in his appearance so it's difficult to tell what might be wrong

increase the water oxygenation, make sure to turn the sand over when doing a water change. try to get the temperature more under control.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back