Now THAT Is Eating Your Foodables Whole!!

The Banana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Mum's making chilli & garlic prawn linguini for dinner tonight, so I asked if I could have a prawn for the 'lotls.
Worms are the best stable diet for axies, so I've never fed a prawn to my axies before, but I've heard they love them, and are good treats - so I decided to give it a go.

Tenedor was the lucky axie who got it. :happy:
For some unknown, strange axie reason - she was eating sand at the start. Then *gulp* gone.

Axolotl Eating a Prawn.mp4 - YouTube

Axolotls have tiny teeth, but they use them for gripping their prey, and swallow their foodables whole.
If we were able to eat on the same scale as them - we could swallow a basketball whole (I know we all know this... I just like to say it haha)!!! :eek:

As we all know, axolotls can and do eat anything the size of their head smaller, which is why gravel is a no-no.

tenedor has a very big smile on his face now:D

Great vid! It still amazes me what they can swallow! What a smile she has!

Thanks Lea & Emz - She is definitely one happy girl!
It never ceases to amaze me how large of an object they can swallow.

What a cute smileyface! I wish I had a smile like that. (And cute black eyes :D... and....gills....and frills....and.... maybe not. I don't think I would like to eat wormish things and limbs)

Naww... I can so imagine an axie version of Morrison..... sort of......

I'm so jealous of axolotl regeneration skills. Wish I could grow back a whole limb - maybe then I could take up full-on machete fighting! :D

Yep, I agree.
Scientists, hurry up! I want to grow my fingers back when I lose them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back