Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

odd behavior?

dianabee

Reaction score
I've had a pair of green tree frogs (h. cinerea) for about 2 years now. Lately they've been exhibiting some odd behavior, burrowing into the substrate.

My vivarium is a 15 tall, with a cocofiber/ topsoil mix and has a combination of live plants (mostly pothos) and plastic suction cup plants that hang from the corners.
I have a water dish, and spray the tank down every day.
My temps usually range from 75-80, and the humidity ranges from 45-70%.

They're doing fine other than this burrowing behavior, eating very well, very active at night, and the male calls non-stop. Does anyone know if this is a normal thing for them to do? And if not, what could be causing them to burrow like this?

killerfrogss

Reaction score
there burrowing because its might not be humid enough in there try misting there taNK a little more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1