Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Odd gill or is this gill fungus?

BrickCorvidae

Reaction score
Hi all, I was checking in on Greg today and noticed his one gill was looking a bit odd. He had just eaten, so I didn't want to harrass him into moving too much for pics, but is this fungus or something else? What can I do to help him with it?

Attachments

• greggill3.jpg
    greggill3.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 214
  • greggill2.jpg
    greggill2.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 116
  • greg1.jpg
    greg1.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 131

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
That looks like the very beginning of fungus.

You could likely nip it immediately by adding 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt or pickling salt per 10 gallons. and leave in your tank for 1 week.
You can also tub and do daily water changes. and Try johns solution or meth blue.

Hi all, I was checking in on Greg today and noticed his one gill was looking a bit odd. He had just eaten, so I didn't want to harrass him into moving too much for pics, but is this fungus or something else? What can I do to help him with it?

BrickCorvidae

Reaction score
@BrickCorvidae

How is your axolotl doing?

Thanks for checking in! The gill fungus is gone (turns out he does have a weird gill as well!), but how he has some odd red spots on the end of his tail. I made a thread today about it. It's just never-ending in my house right now!

Attachments

• 20201014_204622.jpg
    20201014_204622.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 88

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Ok so, I get the "it's a never ending struggle" with these little guys. I am unfamiliar with your tail issue but my axolotl, I've noticed that it's hard for me to judge her coloring against her deep brown sand. When I tubbed her today cuz I thought she had some fungus, she puffed up and stood her ground against me and her gills got super flush with blood and what I thought was fungus, was just a tired axolotl. Then after her fridge trip, she was happy so I put her back into her tank.

Have you seen anything that might explain the red specks on the tail? How old is he? It could be some natural coloration but don't hold me to that. See if one of the more experienced owners knows. My axolotl started to get black spots on her feet and underbelly and everyone said that's just her maturing and aging. But he's are black spots, these reddish ones, I don't know man.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!