Illness/Sickness: One bites the other

Stout Leggings

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hey there,

We've had our two axies Gandalf and Morgana (brother and sister) for about a year now, with no problems at all.

But recently - a tad over a month ago I think, the male began biting the female. First he bit her leg clean off and before I got her moved to another aquarium (took a week as we needed to buy it, and we thought it was a 1-instance happening) he had nibbled at another leg and her gills.

We separated them for a month while she recovered (and I read that this sometimes fixed the cannibalistic tendencies), and in the start the reintroduction went fine. But now a week or two later he's done it again! After they where fed an earthworm each he apparently got a hold of her leg again (skin peeled off :( ). They've had quite a scuffle as she got bite marks on gills and tail too.

What can be done of it? Do they need their home split down the middle or should they be fed strictly separately? Or will he grow out of the habit as time passes?

Their tank is 100 liters and the axies are 10-15 cm.

I would just get a tank divider and divide the tank for them

They're a year old and only 10cm? Are you feeding adequately?

Divider is probably best. My axies Thor and Smiley occasionally nip at Fury during feeding time so I feed them separately now, but they've never bitten off a limb or broken the skin. It's probably safest to just separate.

I would just get a tank divider and divide the tank for them

Divider is probably best. My axies Thor and Smiley occasionally nip at Fury during feeding time so I feed them separately now, but they've never bitten off a limb or broken the skin. It's probably safest to just separate.

Would this be a permanent solution or can they be introduced to each other on a later time?

They're a year old and only 10cm? Are you feeding adequately?

Just measured them and the male was 16 cm, so the 10 cm was down to bad eye measurement :) The female is 1 or 2 cm smaller. Usually they are nice and round-bellied.

The male looked kinda bloated today so he got a trip to the fridge in case he's constipated.

I personally wouldn't introduce them again if it's happened 3 times now. I know their legs can grow back, but it doesn't give a valid reason to keep putting them together and letting it happen again.

My two youngest use to do this, all i did was make sure they werent near eachother while feeding time (thats when they did it most) Now they're both very strong in the tank! :)

Would this be a permanent solution or can they be introduced to each other on a later time?

I wouldn't risk it. Your male is probably a "bully" and won't be able to be trusted with tank mates for a very long time. It happens sometimes :(

Damn :(

I better get that tank divider made then. It's such a shame. He behaved perfectly when he was a juvenile.

Anyway, thank you all for your thoughts!

Axolotl pairings are so unpredictable. I've seen tight pairings over a year old suddenly start squabbling after months of peaceful cohabitation, and axolotls who haven't had more than a nip in years of being together, and even then, only at mealtimes. It's odd.

If you're stuck for a tank divider, you can cut a condensation sheet to size. It generally costs much less than any other material and is easy to cut with scissors.

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back