Illness/Sickness: One Dead Axolotl, not eating, exposed blood vessels - Other perfectly healthy?

kwill64

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I have (had) two male axolotls, one black and one spotted. I have had the black male from a hatchling and he has always been the picture of health (nice full gills, thick tail, good body to head ratio). When he reached about a year old, I brought another axolotl from our local pet store (Roughly the beginning of November last year). This male was very underweight, had tiny gills and a weird mouth. I was told that this could have been the result of him being undernourished. I had the new male in quarantine for over a month just in case. He was a good eater, he never really seemed to gain much weight. I noticed a few weeks ago that he losing weight. He was spitting out any food that he would usually take and was also swimming to the top of the tank and floating. I did as much research as I could and tried (I believe) everything, but tonight he died :( Unfortunatly there was no vet around here I could have taken him to, otherwise I would have tried that as well. When I found him he was very, very thin (as he had been for a while, even though I had made frequent attempts to feed him at least twice a day, and he refused all) and had his mouth open with what appeared to be a lot of blood beneath the skin on his head and face, with the blood vessels in his neck very exposed. I should also note that throughout all this my other axolotl (The original one) had remained perfectly healthy.
My tank is approximately 120 litres (or about 30 Gallons) with a sand and extra large pebble substrate. The water is tested regularly at a local aquarium and it has always been fine. I feed the axolotls everything from earthworms, bloodworms, mealworms, beef heart, brine shrimp, pellets and occasionally crickets as a treat (My black male loves them)I have a external filter that has a very low flow and the tank never is allowed above 23 degrees C. I know that is still higher than preferred but I live in Queenland and in the summer it can easily reach 40 - I have a fan on the tank 24/7 and do a rotation of ice bottles and frozen blocks of tank water. When it is really bad I fridge them until the heat wave passes. I know it is a lot, but I am just desperate to know what went wrong! I can't figure out why one died and I am concerned that my other male may become ill too :(

Do you have pictures of the axolotl before and after his death? They would be of great help. I'm very sorry for your loss and this awful situation. It may be worth removing the remaining axolotl from the tank and doing several water changes just in case the other axolotl left something behind.. What substrate was he kept on in the pet store? Had you ever seen him go to the toilet?

Thanks for your help :( I will try and get some photos tomorrow and post them here. I considered changing the water, but I actually did a good clean less then 24 hours ago so I don't know if it might be bad to do so so soon? I actually got him sent in from a wholeseller via the pet store, so I'm not sure what substrate he was kept in there. The shop owner actually told me he was kept in a tank with at least 200 others (Which I found horrible - I was debating whether or not to keep him because he was in such a state when I got him, but I didn't want any animal going back to that), so I don't know if that might have had some impact :confused: Oh and he has been constipated on more than one occasion, but he has also passed food fine other times.

Did it look like there was any gravel in his poop or did you not notice? Its very obvious when there is. Poor mite, sharing a tank with 200 axolotls! I'm not surprised you had received problems with him :( Like I said pictures would really help as I don't think any of it was your fault. When you say he had a weird mouth do you mean it appeared open all the time? If so, this can be a sign of malnutrition - like you questioned in your initial post. This happens when an axolotl is served an inadequate diet. Being as the store you got them from are willing to keep so many to one tank (not appropriate conditions) I wouldn't be surprised if they were willing to not feed them properly. You did the right thing in trying to vary his diet as this is what they need to stay nutritionally balanced. Axolotls deficient in the right nutrients often become susceptible to fungal and/or bacterial disease. I currently find this the likely cause and again, I believe it to be the fault of the stores - not you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back