Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Opinion on axolotl types??

Dixie

Reaction score
So far my fave axolotl is a leucistic and I think the gfps are cool but have read that the black light can be stressful for them and they seem pretty hard to find so kind of been veering away from shopping for those. Anyway soon I would like to get a lucy again (they are the only ones I have had so far) but I have been wanting to try others for a while now and I found a store about 40 mins away that has wild types and melanoids, I have not seen any pictures yet but I've never really wanted a wild type but I have been reading more on types and just curious what everyone else has to say about which choice I should make? I want to get a lucy soon and kind of want to try several different types possibly (long term and after I get a bigger house for more tanks lol) anyway what is everyone's experience with mixing types and possible offspring of lucy and melanoid or wild type? I have never even looked into these 2 choices much in the past and didnt even know what the melanoid was til last couple days. What are things I should look for when choosing?? I think an all black one would be really cool but doubting they have one of those! But maybe increasing my chances of getting all black offspring is a way to go?? (Again down the road since I am getting juvys anyway) Or should I possibly get 2 and if so should I get one of each or both the same kind?? Thank you for any help!!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Honestly GFPs are not that rare at all and you need to use blue led preferably a dimmable one to enjoy them.

I LOVE ALL morphs - There are literally soooo many morphs - I'll try to only list once but its hard and many morphs are phenotypically identical so not listing them.

Axanthics - all including leucistic, melanoid, copper both reg and gfp of each
Coppers - all including melanoids, melanoid axanthics both reg and gfp of each

Wilds - there are so many different patterns colors etc
Albinos - Reg golden, Leucistic, melanoid, melanoid leucistic again reg and gfp
Leucistics - Melanoid, dark gill and variant piebald always reg and gfp
Melanoids - Black and grey reg and gfp

I would look for a reputable breeder over a petstore.
Many wholesale breeders do not care about unrelated, genetic issues etc but hobby breeders do which means a much healthier long lived axolotl of 10-15 years. Hobby breeders also generally ensure babies havent been nipping at each other and causing issues.

Dixie

Reaction score
Honestly GFPs are not that rare at all and you need to use blue led preferably a dimmable one to enjoy them.

I LOVE ALL morphs - There are literally soooo many morphs - I'll try to only list once but its hard and many morphs are phenotypically identical so not listing them.

Axanthics - all including leucistic, melanoid, copper both reg and gfp of each
Coppers - all including melanoids, melanoid axanthics both reg and gfp of each

Wilds - there are so many different patterns colors etc
Albinos - Reg golden, Leucistic, melanoid, melanoid leucistic again reg and gfp
Leucistics - Melanoid, dark gill and variant piebald always reg and gfp
Melanoids - Black and grey reg and gfp

I would look for a reputable breeder over a petstore.
Many wholesale breeders do not care about unrelated, genetic issues etc but hobby breeders do which means a much healthier long lived axolotl of 10-15 years. Hobby breeders also generally ensure babies havent been nipping at each other and causing issues.
Feel free to post as much as you like! Lol. This forum doesn't seem to get many replies anymore!! Good to know about the blacklight. I have glofish lights, I have 2 or 3 of those actually and no glofish!! The store is aquatics only, I already paid though but will take your advice and only use breeders for my other choices in the future. I've tried reading up on morphs and from what I gathered I can only know if one is axanathic by knowing if their grandparents are but inform me if there is other ways to tell by just looking at them! My choice is between wild and melanoid but no idea what they look like yet. I am leaning more towards the melanoid but curious if the juvys will pretty much stay the same or if they will change bc the pics of melanoid on the internet has me confused! They look spotty and brown and like a wild type as juvys and black as adults but think there's just so many different colors of the morph that I got myself confused. Lol. Thanks for the reply for sure. I'm just now learning morphs bc I have always been stuck on leucistic but think trying a new morph might be rewarding for me :)

Last edited:

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Wilds are brown/Black/green with iridophores could be spots or marbled and have shiny eye rings - huge variety and change as they age.
Melanoids should be mainly black/grey with spots, no iridophores no eye rings.

Axanthics as a base morph are similar to a blk/grey melanoid but have no yellow tones to them so they have more of a purple hue hence the lavendar nickname.

I'll try to get my photos from my phone to my computer so I can start adding and sharing

Dixie

Reaction score
Ok!! Your way helpful!! Thanks for sure. I'm heading soon to go pick one out, we will see what I figure out!!

Reaction score
I personally love wild types because they all are so unique! When I got mine as a baby, I had no idea what colors he would end with. Dark with darker spots, greenish, brown, shiny spots or just little speckles, I didn’t know. Wilds for the win! Here’s a picture of Oaki to help you further! (His coloring is a bit odd for a wild type, but that’s part of the surprise. The color variety adds personality in my opinion)
38BE2AE2-909E-484A-B183-4E69D3CC7057.png

Dixie

Reaction score
I had a blow out on my way to pick one out tonight!! I had to reschedule and was bummed out but honestly still have no idea which one I should go for. I found a breeder for the all black one I want and thinking about getting another tank sat aside to get several morphs, I agree with what you are saying with the wilds too. Hard decision! Been playing with the idea of getting both but I just can't decide yet!! lol

Emmajane07

Reaction score
I can't decide either. Essentially, I think I'll start with a leucistic, and while waiting for it to mature and figure out gender I'm going to get a bigger tank set up so I can add a wild and melanoid down the road.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1