Opinions and experiences of the tiger salamander

elKendo97

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello, I like to have a tiger salamander in a terrarium of 31.7 gallons and wondered what opinions and experiences on this species have seen a very, experiences and if it is a species recommended for a noob ( I have experience with Axolotls)
Thank you

Just noticing this topic now, hope it isn't to old. Any way there is a good care sheet on here so you can use that for referance but basically they need a substrate they can burrow into and moss ontop to keep them moist. They are a very hardy animal and seem to do very good in captivity and should be a great pet for a "noob" Provide it with plenty of things to hide under. They are fun to watch eat cause they will stalk and strike prey and shake it around wildly. I read somewhere they got their name from their voracious eating habits. Overall a pretty interesting and easy to care for animal.

Just noticing this topic now, hope it isn't to old. Any way there is a good care sheet on here so you can use that for referance but basically they need a substrate they can burrow into and moss ontop to keep them moist. They are a very hardy animal and seem to do very good in captivity and should be a great pet for a "noob" Provide it with plenty of things to hide under. They are fun to watch eat cause they will stalk and strike prey and shake it around wildly. I read somewhere they got their name from their voracious eating habits. Overall a pretty interesting and easy to care for animal.

Heres those articles:
Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander
Caudata Culture Articles - Vivarium Substrates

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back