Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oregon/Opal Creek

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dawn, Jacquie and I spent 3 days together in Oregon recently. As I write this, the two of them are still traveling in Washington. They might have more photos to add when they get back to civilization.

These pictures give some idea how beautiful the area was.

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12630-opal-creek4.jpg

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12635-opal-creek10.jpg

The first herp find of the trip was a small garter snake.

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12631-opal-creek5-garter.jpg

We saw very few Taricha. One, to be exact. It was found in water in a pool beside a stream. Terrestrial habitats were not very wet, so evidently they weren't out on land much. Oddly, this one had only 3 legs. The missing leg was completely missing, no sign of any scar or injury.

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12641-opal-creek16-taricha.jpg

The most abundant species we found were aquatic Dicamptodon. We found every size, from an inch up to about 8 inches in size. All had gills.

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12637-opal-creek14-dicamp.jpg

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12638-opal-creek27-dicamp.jpg

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12639-opal-creek29-dicamp.jpg

The other very abundant species was tailed frogs, which were seen among the rocks alongside the streams. Jacquie found a lot of these; or rather they seemed to find her!

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12640-opal-creek16-tailed-frog.jpg

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12647-opal-creek26-frog.jpg

We also saw a couple of Rhyacotriton, mostly in the smaller streams.

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12632-opal-creek6-rhyacotriton.jpg

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12633-opal-creek15-rhyacotriton.jpg

This was a typical stream for Rhyacotriton.

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12634-opal-creek8.jpg

We also found just one of each of Ensatina and Plethodon vehiculum (western redback). The redback was tiny, about 2 inches total.

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12636-opal-creek11-ensatina.jpg

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12642-opal-creek18-redback.jpg

Dawn found this guy in a puddle in a mostly dried-up creekbed (no water flowing). We initially thought it was Aneides ferreus, but looking again at the photos, and thinking about the habitat, I'm thinking it was a large specimen of Rhyacotriton.

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12643-opal-creek19-aneides.jpg

Finally, here are my favorite photos of my traveling companions. Dawn, happily up to her knees in cold water. And Jacquie admiring the very first wild caudate that she ever found (she's from Australia, so she got a late start).

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12645-opal-creek22.jpg

jennewt-albums-oregon-september-2010-picture12646-opal-creek23.jpg

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Re: Oregon in September

One of my favorite places to herp, and always good to see more.

Your garter looks like a northwestern, T.ordinoides. T.elegans babies tend to be much heavier.

Your western red-back looks more like a Dunn's, P.dunni. They're extremely common along mountain streams, and the inchlings will often swim across the surface quickly to escape.

Your last salamander is definitely Rhyacotriton. Looks like R.cascadae, though that's only possible in the Cascades.

freves

Reaction score

Great pics Jen. It looks as if you guys had a good time. Did you attend that Microcosm show?
Chip

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Ah, lovely!
I would have paid good money to see the look in Jacq´s face when she saw her first ever wild caudate! It must have been a great moment!
The place is gorgeous, i´m suffering severe herping withdrawal just by looking at the pictures.
The Rhyacotriton are a genus i would very much love to see in person, they are special little guys.

Anyway, thanx for sharing, i bet you had a brilliant time!! I´m green with envy :p

PS: Next time, Cantabrian Mountains, ladies, you are all invited xDD

firesalamander

Reaction score

Ah, lovely!
I would have paid good money to see the look in Jacq´s face when she saw her first ever wild caudate! It must have been a great moment!
The place is gorgeous, i´m suffering severe herping withdrawal just by looking at the pictures.
The Rhyacotriton are a genus i would very much love to see in person, they are special little guys.

Anyway, thanx for sharing, i bet you had a brilliant time!! I´m green with envy :p

PS: Next time, Cantabrian Mountains, ladies, you are all invited xDD

You think your jealous?? I live in kansas! Caudates are extremely hard to come by where i live. And i only get to go herping once a year when i go to arkansas for a week.

Molch

Reaction score

awesome photos. What fun! I'd love to go herping with you ladies. You look like a jolly bunch!

When I was a kid, my dad would shake his head at my tendency to jump into any pond or creek in search of herps. He'd say "She'll grow out of this eventually". Well, har har!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

One of my favorite places to herp, and always good to see more.

Your garter looks like a northwestern, T.ordinoides. T.elegans babies tend to be much heavier.

Your western red-back looks more like a Dunn's, P.dunni. They're extremely common along mountain streams, and the inchlings will often swim across the surface quickly to escape.

Your last salamander is definitely Rhyacotriton. Looks like R.cascadae, though that's only possible in the Cascades.

It's possible that the redback was P. dunni, but when we had it up close, it looked like the yellow stripe went all the way to the end of the tail, which is supposed to indicate vehiculum.

Based on the location, the Rhyacotriton should all be R. cascadae.

dragonlady

Reaction score

I've been anxiously awaiting these pics and just found this thread! The area is stunning and I'm so glad you had so many great finds! Beautiful pics, looks like you gals had a great time! :D

FrogEyes

Reaction score

It's a Dunn's. They're extremely common near streams, while red-backs are only rarely found streamside. The coloration and pattern in the photo are consistent with P.dunni. The red/yellow of P.vehiculum would be obvious right to the tail tip and a bit further down the sides, even in the photo.

Inchers:
Pict0017Asmall.jpg

P.vehiculum, Forest Park, Multnomah Cty. Color is clean, and distinct all the way.

Pict0019Asmall.jpg

P.dunni, Oregon, but I've seen so many that I forget where this one was. Color is dirty greenish, and peters out to leave the tail tip dark.

and for good measure,
PICT1119small.jpg

P.idahoensis, Revelstoke BC.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I don't really have any more pics than Jen, in fact my camera was out of commission for a day after I fell into Opal Creek. I have a slightly better pic of the garter snake, a pic of a Dicamptodon I really like, and two pics of a frog- I like the action photo. I'm not sure if that was the 'tailed frog' or not.

Attachments

• Gartersm.JPG
    Gartersm.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 579
  • Dicampsm.JPG
    Dicampsm.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 2,656
  • frog1sm.JPG
    frog1sm.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 456
  • frog2sm.JPG
    frog2sm.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

You got a really nice shot of the snake. I think all the frogs we saw were tailed frogs, even though the colors varied quite a lot. The ones without tails are the gals:p

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

One of the few nicer shots. I think the water had long-lasting effects on the camera. Many of my low-light pics came out blurry. Not all, and I still have a lot of good pics, but I'm looking for a new camera.

FrogEyes

Reaction score

Those first two pics are a northwestern garter and I'm not sure which Dicamptodon, but probably tenebrosus. The last two are both tailed frogs - note the vertical pupil.

Aneides

Reaction score

Dicamptodon tenebrosus tend to have a more rounded head than copei. I say tenebrosus, but who knows?

Aneides

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

You know, I never saw this when it was new. Great job ladies!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Oregon in September/Opal Creek

Two years later we decided to go back to Opal Creek for the mosses and lichens educational weekend, including seeing more of the state of Oregon. At Opal Creek we saw many Taricha granulosa. Elsewhere we found an ensatina (the stumpy-tailed one), we saw A. macrodactylum and larvae, A. gracile egg masses, and a western lead-back. I hope Jenn and Jacquie will add their (much better) pictures to this thread.
The bridge was part of the trail leading to where the lead-back was found. Now THAT is the way to spend our tax dollars!

Hey, who let that pesky otter in???

Attachments

• 04-19Hikeb (3)sm.jpg
    04-19Hikeb (3)sm.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 390
  • 04-19TarichaCalendarMaterialQ.JPG
    04-19TarichaCalendarMaterialQ.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 587
  • 04-19Hike (13).JPG
    04-19Hike (13).JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 456
  • 04-23 (8)f2sm.jpg
    04-23 (8)f2sm.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 535
  • 04-23 (7)fsm.jpg
    04-23 (7)fsm.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 485
  • 006sm.jpg
    006sm.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 443
  • A. Macrodactylum- Jac.jpg
    A. Macrodactylum- Jac.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 466
  • 04-20 (14).JPG
    04-20 (14).JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 620

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

Go Ladies!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Dawn mentioned finding a western leadback, but I think it might have been Aneides ferreus. Opinions?
jennewt-albums-oregon-april-2012-picture22170-aneides-lincolncityor.jpg

I'll post a few more photos after I get them prepped...

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I felt very privileged seeing these beautiful caudates in person, in particular, the Taricha granulosa. I never thought my axolotls would take a back seat to any other caudate, but, I was (and still am) totally smitten by the taricha I encountered.

Attachments

• IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_2780.jpg
    IMG_2780.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 5,793
  • IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_2848.jpg
    IMG_2848.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,121
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!