Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Other <i>Hynobius</i> keepers ?

H

henk

I am trying hard to get in touch with other people keeping Hynobius species.

Currently in Europe there have been succesfull breedings with some species like H. leechi quelpartensis (for more then a decade), H. retardatus (3 people this year) and H. dunni (my 4th consecutive breeding year now, this year with quite some succes).

Formerly some species (especially H. nebulosus) were quite actively bred by Robert Thorn in Luxembourg, but the last years this genus has not gotten much attention (also because Japan does not export these animals either).

So please inform me if anybody else is working with these ... ?

P

paris

hi henk,
i have 2 but am unsure how to sex them. they are leechi's. i would like more but they are hard to come by in the states. any ideas how to sex them , and if ive got the ratio right-how to breed them?

H

henk

Hai Paris,

sorry to answer so late... but I just now discovered your mail.
Hynobius are quite difficult to sex out of the breeding season and I must admit I fail to sex them myselves... During the breeding season it is easier and I have made slides on the cloaca of H. dunni that show this (I am not sure wether I have loaded them in on amphibiaweb).

I keep al my Hynobius species in a frostfree gardenhouse which works well and have bred H. leechii last year (approx 50 raised juveniles).
They are laying their eggs on and inbetween stones, so not on branches (like my other pondtype Hynobius). If you need more detail tell me...

TJ

Reaction score
Paris, do have a look at this page on "Sexual Dimorphism in Vents" by Masato Hasumi, Dr. Sci., for photos and info on sexing them during the breeding season.

http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~hasumi/photo/vent_e.html

Here's the main page for this site (Hasumi Virtual Lab for Salamanders), which is the most authoritative (and only?!) site I'm aware of that deals specifically with hynobiids:

http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~hasumi/index.html

John, hope you'll consider adding a link to this informative site on the "Links to Web Sites and Mailing Lists" page after reviewing it. TKS!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1