Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

OUCH!....it's got teeth!

P

paris

here are some pictures i took back in october of 2005. i was lucky enough to get a semi clear shot of my dicamp with his mouth open.
first is a shot of my 'little' guy...hes 12" long
55213.jpg

these salamanders are known to be 'aggressive' and to bite. i caught this one myself and he never tried to bite me. he has 'bitten' me a few times over the years-but not because of aggression. the teeth are very sharp, and they snap at food very fast-so he's gotten me by accident during feedings in the past. the few times he has gotten me he lets go right away. after the first time i switched to feeding him with forceps-but this time he got me again.
55214.jpg

you can see its only 1 shallow cut-but his teeth are so sharp it does bleed a lot for the size of wound. the first time he got me i didnt know i was cut-it took a while then the blood just bubbled up and kept flowing, eventually enough to drip off my finger. when this happens you dont feel it much-sort of like being cut by a razor blade. here is a so so picture i got of his teeth
55215.jpg

i really wouldnt consider them aggressive-this boy is just trained to eat what ever i feed him and hes got an eager feeding response.

S

s1ren

Ouch!
sick.gif

Every once in a while, they do something to remind us that they're predators. I'm always glad, when that happens, that they're so SMALL, hehe.

C

christian

Can you post some more photo's of this animal please? I really like this species

P

paris

i can give it a try in a few weeks-i will be adjusting his set up and will have him out anyways.

simon

Reaction score
What kind of terrarium do you keep it (them) in? Where'd you find the one you caught, and in what kind of habitat? Where'd you get all of your other ones from? Someday I'd really like to get a Dicamptodon.
Sweet animals

A

alberto

Hello Paris
Does the Greater Siren and the Lesser Siren have teeth also and do they bite? I know that the Amphiuma have teeth and bites!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!