Illness/Sickness: Overfed juvie? can see intestines, is this normal even for an albino?

2ma3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I may just be a worried new mom but my 4in (10cm) juvie seems overweight?
They're an albino and i can also see their white intestines against what I assume is their dark stomach?
They're on black sand substrate and I fed them a brine shrimp cube per day (in a small bowl on the sand) before noticing their weight gain... I have given them only half a cube for the past few days.
Is this normal? I can't find many pictures of juveniles that age (someone told me a 4in is probably 6-10 months old) therefore I can't tell if this is normal...
I have a video of them, only a minute long, that shows them walking and from many angles as they turn. You can see the intestines near the end.
video:
http://youtu.be/Ddv1pLfVWTQ

Are they overweight? Are they impacted? Am I feeding them too much? What do I need to do for them?
Thanks!!

I'm not an expert, but as far as I could see in the video they looked normal sized :happy:

Looks to be normal sized. Could there be any gravel/substrate causing such dark areas....just thought it looked a little bumpy?

They haven't been on any gravel or anything larger than sand since I've had them, and when they arrived they were pretty tiny but not bumpy. I noticed that too, though... Other than gravel, what else could it be? I don't see any air bubbles...

In smaller pale axies you can usually see their intestines and liver - normal and nothing to worry about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back