Overly Active Axolotl

Greg31

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently moved my axie into a 30 long tank which is im assuming to be around 20g. His old tank had sand, a couple plants, and a hollow log as his hiding spot. I recently moved him into the tank and brought the hollow log, the plants, and some river rocks that were in the original tank. I also added a new cannister filter and a airstone and pump.

Before the move he was pretty active, and I could sometimes see him "sprinting" from one end of the tank to the other. I figured he wanted some more space since he is getting bigger.

In his new tank I have been watching him for past 20 minutes and he will "sprint" back and forth in the tank until hitting a end, rest for 1 minutes then repeat. He is worrying me because sometimes he will run into a rock, or the side very hard. Sometimes it apears he is trying to get under the hollow log and rocks.

Maybe he wants another hiding spot, but I dont know. Any help would be appreciated. I also havent seen much "poop" lately so maybe he is constipated.

I would check water parameters and temperature. Sometimes restlessness is an indication that the water quality is not too good.

Then again, Rayson, don't you just 'get' some axolotls who enjoy a good swim around? Mine does that from time to time, especially in the evening 'But mostly, he sits high up in the trees staring at the goldfish tank next to his!)

Sometimes he doesn't move for hours on end!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back