Overly plump FBN?

Oscarsmom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Melissa
Hey everyone. Back with a question regarding the size of one of my newts. This is actually about the newt that I asked about his/her coloring. He/she is more of a grayish tone than my others.
Well, he/she is also now looking more plump. I tried to capture some decent pics...

Betterpics015.jpg

Betterpics017.jpg

Betterpics017.jpg

Betterpics008.jpg

Not so plump newt

Betterpics012.jpg

For fun, snail going to town

Betterpics010.jpg

Should I be concerned with her plumpness??? They are fed blood worms normally one-two cubes a day. Keep in mind that I have four snails as well and they also eat some blood worms.

Thanks!

Don´t worry, that´s a healthy animal. In fact my female is quite plumpier and she is as healthy as she could be, so keep feeding them well.

She doesn't look too plump to me, but rather well fed. If you are concerned you could increase her feeding intervals some and see if she slims down a little.

She looks a healthy to me, no need to crack out the slimfast.
I do think you may be over feeding a bit(I've been guilty of this in the past with orientalis, they're such gluttons), I would recommend cutting back to two cubes every other day.

I'll tell me when my t. grans come up to me with the eyes I really want to give them a treat. Good thing I hate cutting the worms or else my little guys would look like tigers. Dang snail is trying to hog the camera.;)

looks fine to me. Also looks like a male.

That looks like a very healthy newt to me, my Eastern Newt Truffles is around that girth. Its probably just well-fed and adjusted—always better than malnourished and stressed! :D

Thanks everyone! I feel much better about him/her now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back