Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oviparity (in CC amphib glossary)

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Reproduction by laying eggs which develop indipendent of the mother
Some oviparous animals inclulding some snakes are dependent on the mother to brood the eggs to maintain warmth or humidity or both. How about:

Oviparous - reproduction through laying eggs that develop and hatch outside of the mother's body. Embryos are nourished by the egg yolk.

Ovoviviparous - reproduction through eggs that develop within the mother and young are born live or immediately after the eggs are deposited. Embryos are nourished by the egg yolk.

Viviparous - reproduction through giving birth to live young. Embryos are nourished by the mother generally through placental transfer.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
With examples of the types of animals added:

Oviparous - reproduction through laying eggs that develop and hatch outside of the mother's body. Embryos are nourished by the egg yolk. Most [anurans] and [caudates] are oviparous.

Ovoviviparous - reproduction through eggs that develop within the mother and young are born live or immediately after the eggs are deposited. Embryos are nourished by the egg yolk. Examples would include certain reptiles and insects as well as some fish.

Viviparous - reproduction through giving birth to live young. Embryos are nourished by the mother. Examples of vivaparous animals would include most [caecilians] and mammals.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome definitions, Jan!

How do we classify the salamanders that deposit fully formed larvae/morphs instead of eggs? Are they ovoviviparous?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome definitions, Jan!

How do we classify the salamanders that deposit fully formed larvae/morphs instead of eggs? Are they ovoviviparous?
Jen
There is another more obscure category called larviparous. These animals may well fit here. Do you have specific specie(s) in mind? (that may be beneficial in finding an answer). The term larviparous is most often associated with insects and mollusks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think Jen had something in mind like Plethodontids that hatch out as mini-adults instead of gilled larvae.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Plethodontids (that I know of) hatch as mini-adults from eggs, so I assume they would be the standard oviparous. I was thinking of Salamandra, where the female deposits larvae (or even metamorphs), not eggs. Are there any other sals that do this, besides Salamandra?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The Plethodontids (that I know of) hatch as mini-adults from eggs, so I assume they would be the standard oviparous. I was thinking of Salamandra, where the female deposits larvae (or even metamorphs), not eggs. Are there any other sals that do this, besides Salamandra?
Hi Jen
Salamandra are classified as ovoviviparous as the embyos are nourished via egg yolk. Shall we include these in the definition to read:

Ovoviviparous - reproduction through eggs that develop within the mother and young are born live or immediately after the eggs are deposited. Embryos are nourished by the egg yolk. Examples would include certain salamanders (e.g., Salamandra) some reptiles and insects as well as some fish.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Super. I'm moving this to "finished".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!