Oxygen weed?

C

charlie

Ok, have LOADS of it growing in my fish tank. Was thinking about using a little in my axie tank to fill out the plants. I know the axies will strip it eventually, and that its pretty boring, but is there anything to watch out for or anything actually wrong with using it?

Just that its flourishing in the fish tank and I'll have to cull it soon if I don't find something to do with it! The banana lily won't be ready for a while yet and a little more greenery for the axies wouldn't go astray.
thanks
happy.gif

there should be no problem at all with having oxy weed in your tank. iv had it in my tank.

how'd it go?
Whats been people's experiences with it?

Its growing a cm or more a day at the moment, and there's loads of it in the other tank
happy.gif

OK, I'm curious... what does it look like?? What is the real name? Is it a floater?

Anacharis (Egeria densa) but it seems to be known as Oxygen weed in Aussie in NZ.

yeah its known as oxy weed over here in nz. it would grow just the same as it did in your other tank if the lighting and temp is the same. just have to make sure the axies dont up-root it.

(Message edited by alex_axolotl on February 14, 2006)

I meant "and nz" not "in NZ" (I'm kiwi too)

My axie tank isn't as warm, and isn't as lit as the fish, but it'll still be ok apparently (www.plantgeek.net) I'm figuring it'll be ok floating and planted?

yeah should do fine, oxy weed is really easy to grow so you should be fine.

Just a note,I tried to get oxy weed at pet shop,they aren't allowed to sell it anymore,MAF regulations,due to the risk of spreading didimo,or as we fondly call it...rock snot.If you can get it go for it!

Ok,so I didn't read your post properly before,lucky you having a supply!My goldfish ate theirs before I got my axies,got none now
sick.gif

Understandable they want to stop rock snot. That stuff is noxious and a huge risk to nz aquaculture/fisheries/etc. I'm in aussie so its no problem getting it though. (read a lot of info on didymo as I'm a trout fisherman when I'm in nz. Not a successful one, but one nonetheless)

Will get around to moving some down and seeing how it goes on thursday. Any further info from other people on their experiences is appreciated
happy.gif

Are you talking about American waterweed (Elodea canadensis)? or the canadian one? Either one wont have a problem with axies, but be warned your snailes will eat it all up, Muhahahahaha, lol. Is this it?

Stipe,
I removed the picture as this is a violation of the copyright laws.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on February 15, 2006)

Stipe is that your own personal picture or is it from a different source?

Ed

Naughty stipe :p

Yeah, thats the one stipe.
and will they eat it? or just strip it and get it into the filter?

Gosh, I think that elodea grows and grows and grows even in the dark...hahah
I ended up throwing all mine away because it just takes over the tank. Good luck!! ( I love the different names of things in other countries.... ) (rock snot???))

Theresa - Rock snot is the nickname for didimo - a noxious pest that is slowly taking over several rivers in the south island of NZ. Its a huge headache because it just takes over EVERY surface in a river and kills off native aquatic plants, but more importantly - means that alot of insects and fish die out because the rocks they use to lay eggs/grow/etc are coated in this horrible slime. Itis transferred relatively easily when people don't clean fishing gear/boats/etc.
There's a big campaign to educate boaties/fisherman/water users, because it is so easy to spread, and nearly impossible to erradicate.

But yeah, oxygen weed seems the common name in aussie and NZ, along with a couple of different scientific names (it would seem.)
And stipe - I don't have snails. yet. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back